Janoel 130140

My 12yr old daughter is so excited she was just given some Araucana blue eggs, she will be devestated if I tell her the incubator she bought is no good, she paid for it herself. So I have to give it a try, in the meantime I will look at buying her a good one for Christmas, but any suggestions in the meantime to hopefully get at least one chick would be helpful

This is an unhealthy bator to hatch baby chicks!! It needs to hold 99.5 constant daily temp and "I use dry humidity...20-30% for 18 days and increase it to 65-70% during lockdown.

The incubator is not good...I understand you love your daughter but you're bringing a "new life into the world" ...the baby chick or chicks are not "toys" They need a brooder,fresh chick food,fresh water every day...baby chicks need a 250 watt red heat lamp for 4 months!! Baby chicks need marbles in their water for a couple weeks or they'll drown.... I'm an animal advocate, those tiny chicks grow into big chickens,chickens are not toys.

A3A46862-8813-4C3C-8DE0-FCB24779080D.jpeg
She has had chickens for many years we rescued some baby’s a couple of years ago which she cared for and kept warm with a heat lamp, last year she had a broody hen and put 6 eggs under her only 2 chicks hatched and one died. The remaining one turned out to be a rooster who she loves dearly, she has a brooder now with the overhead heater and has the chick starter food, so she has knowledge of caring for them, she also has been taken under the wing of our local poultry expert who organises our local agricultural shows poultry section, which Chelsea won many first certificates and a champion sash just last month, so she’s not Niave when it comes to caring for chickens just incubating them which is her first time

Good for her hopefully she gets a few chicks with this one :)

View attachment 1544214 She has had chickens for many years we rescued some baby’s a couple of years ago which she cared for and kept warm with a heat lamp, last year she had a broody hen and put 6 eggs under her only 2 chicks hatched and one died. The remaining one turned out to be a rooster who she loves dearly, she has a brooder now with the overhead heater and has the chick starter food, so she has knowledge of caring for them, she also has been taken under the wing of our local poultry expert who organises our local agricultural shows poultry section, which Chelsea won many first certificates and a champion sash just last month, so she’s not Niave when it comes to caring for chickens just incubating them which is her first time

Try to keep the tempature stable, don't open it up often or change the outside temp if possible (so don't put it by a drafty door or window)
Humidity I try to keep around 35-40%. Since your incubator doesn't have a humidity monitor you might just try dry incubating. Once lockdown comes around you can put a wet sponge in there to boost it up.
I had to teach myself how to incubate, because the instructions are usually wrong. They tell you too high or too low. For example, my incubator instructions said to keep humidity at 60% the whole hatch, that is VERY wrong!! It's better to see what has worked for the members of BYC and find what works best for you.

Give it a shot, my first time I got 50% hatch and I did a lot of stuff wrong. Your daughter sounds very responsible and smart, don't worry about what others say. ;) You can't go wrong with your first incubator, you have to start somewhere! You can always upgrade later on!

if you put the name manual then the make and model # in google there is a pdf in backyard chickens that opens from user they have it and use it did not have one so they compiled one you can use

Yours is a plastic Chinese bator...been there,done that,just trash it.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but maybe instead of just repeating "it's junk", how about giving some hatching tips and tricks? They paid money for this incubator, it's a teeny bit rude to keep telling them to throw it away over and over.. sorry if I'm reading into your messages too much..

My 12yr old daughter is so excited she was just given some Araucana blue eggs, she will be devestated if I tell her the incubator she bought is no good, she paid for it herself. So I have to give it a try, in the meantime I will look at buying her a good one for Christmas, but any suggestions in the meantime to hopefully get at least one chick would be helpful
Don't listen to that guy...... you just have to keep an eye on the temp and make sure to calibrate it as they all come wrong from the factory, like a few degrees off. Just buy a good thermometer/hygrometer and use that as the basis and adjust the temp from the incubator accordingly. They DO work.

Back
Top Bottom