Janoel

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by backyardjack, Nov 14, 2014.

1. backyardjack

backyardjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    Hi, I'm going to be buying a incubator in the next few days and was wondering what would be best with a small budget. I'm thinking of buying a cheap Chinese janoel 12 off of eBay and am wondering what peoples experiences and hatch rates have been like with the cheap janoel incubators thanks in advance! :)

2. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    The general consensus seems to be that they work great if you don't mind taking the time to double check temps and humidity and calibrate as needed before actually putting any eggs in. I've seen it recommended to use a cheap barnyard mix as a test batch to double check everything before putting in any eggs you'd be upset to lose.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with sustained would get another thermometer and hygrometer to use with it. I had a cheap Chinese incubator first off and it cooked my eggs. The thermostat was way off took a lot of tweaking to get it right. Good luck

4. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I just bought the Janoel 12. It arrived two days ago, and I put some maran eggs in it today. This is my first time incubating! I will have to let you know how it goes, but so far, it held stable temp for two days. I had put my own humidity/temperature monitor inside (as an additional resource) which has also helped...and I highly recommend you do! I do wish the Janoel 12 included one.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. backyardjack

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    That is very reassureimg and i will now be ordering a humidity and temperature monitor as well thank you very much!:)

6. backyardjack

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    ooo very exciting that someone's doing the same you will have to keep me up to date with your hatch ;) and as soon as I get mine I will be doing the same!

7. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    I am using a bigger Janoel model also bought off ebay - does a great job, just do double check all the figures on the screen as while mine holds the set temp really well that temp is not what the eggs are sitting in! Once that is worked out there seem to be no problems with them, I have friends who have been using them for 4-5 years with no hassles. Good luck with your eggs!

8. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    My boyfriend, a TERRIBLE influence (very enabling towards my chicken addiction) bought a SECOND incubator, a Janoel 48, when he saw how excited I was about incubating eggs. =/ Good to hear some other user reviews about it! I will be trying it out when it arrives... thinking about having one incubator for incubation and another for hatching.

9. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    Hey MisfitMarie - you must have read my mind! I have just ordered 2 more of these same incubators, the idea being to have two working as incubators and the third is a hatcher. That way I don't have to wait to finish a whole batch before setting the next lot of eggs, I can just put in a few as soon as I have room. No more having to store eggs and hoping I haven't kept them too long! - just means keeping VERY good records on dates, and marking each set of eggs differently so I can work out when candling/hatching is due for each group.

10. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Yes, an excellent plan! I would have to pay extreme attention to my records. I have a tendency to be a little disorganized at times. But yeah... REALLY cool not having to store the eggs and being able to rotate them out.
    BackyardJack - DO let me know when you get started! =D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by