Janoel12 incubator questions

kelleyayers1

Songster
7 Years
Jan 29, 2017
norman oklahoma
Hello. First time ever incubating eggs. Well, technically haven't even started yet. I set up the incubator I got earlier today and am letting it run for 24 hours to ensure the temp and everything stays consistent. I bought the Janoel12 incubator that holds 9-12 eggs and had a few questions. The instructions weren't translated very well, and just in general I don't have past experience with incubating eggs. We had a broody hen hatch three out of six Serama eggs, and now those three are grown. Two hens and a rooster. One hen is laying and her eggs are fertile! So we are going to be hatching her eggs. Anyway, onto the questions.
1. What temperature do the eggs need to be at and for how long? This incubator is in celcius and currently it is at 48 celcius, which is 100.4 fahrenheit. Is this a good temp. for now or should I adjust it? Will I need to raise/lower it during lockdown as well?
2. What should the humidity range be from up until lockdown, and the humidity range during lockdown?

Those are the only questions that come to mind currently. I may ask more as time goes on, as this in entirely new to me and will be a learning process. I hope that at least some of my eggs will hatch!

Last edited:
I put the 100ml of water and my crested gecko's hygrometer/thermometer combination gauge in the incubator earlier today. I ordered a different one, however, so I won't have to open the incubator to view the humidity each time. I got the new one and set it up. My crested gecko one was reading 50% humidity and 100 temp. The temperature was around the same on both that thermometer and the actual one on the incubator. I have since taken the crested gecko one out, and now the new one is reading 37.5 celcius and the actual incubator is reading 48 celcius. The humidity is being read at 75%. It was reading around 70% when I had the whole 100ml of water in it. I took most of it out because it was way too much, but now it is reading even higher on humidity. Does it just take a few hours to accurately adjust or is the one I bought already inaccurate?

Google how to test a hygrometer with the salt test. It’s easy, scientific and accurate. Reptile meters are usually pretty accurate, but test them anyway.

Then check out the red link in my signature line for humidity. It’s not really a set number, but I can tell you that seramas may need a slightly higher humidity. I run them around 35%.
Temperature depends, does that incubator have a fan or no? With a fan needs to be 99.5-100F. Without a fan needs to be a little higher, 101-102, measured at the top of the eggs.

Good luck!

I left it overnight and the humidity dropped to around 27% by the morning. Before I went to bed it was around 50%. I added a little more water and now it's shooting back up into 60's and 70's. I guess I just have to let it settle for a few hours before it gets lower. The red text in your signature is just text for me, not a link. The blue under it is a link. The incubator does have a fan and the temperature maintained at 99.5 the entire night through. I'm just having trouble with the humidity now. I didn't think it would be this difficult to get it and keep it just right.

I left it overnight and the humidity dropped to around 27% by the morning. Before I went to bed it was around 50%. I added a little more water and now it's shooting back up into 60's and 70's. I guess I just have to let it settle for a few hours before it gets lower. The red text in your signature is just text for me, not a link. The blue under it is a link. The incubator does have a fan and the temperature maintained at 99.5 the entire night through. I'm just having trouble with the humidity now. I didn't think it would be this difficult to get it and keep it just right.

Wow, thanks. I just added the blue, so I’ve now fixed both links.

You didn’t say if that incubator has a fan? Is it the little oval shaped one? (Guess I could look it up lol)

Also if there are any vents, open them all! Some people play around with vents trying to control humidity, but the chicks need the ventilation and air circulation. And it will eventually stabilize better with them fully open.

I have been adding about 1/8 c of water to mine every other day to maintain humidity of 20-30%. You can calibrate incubator temp to match your aux if you think it’s more accurate by holding down set button and scrolling to CA menu.

I have been adding about 1/8 c of water to mine every other day to maintain humidity of 20-30%. You can calibrate incubator temp to match your aux if you think it’s more accurate by holding down set button and scrolling to CA menu.

Again, the “amount” of water doesn’t matter. It’s the surface area that it covers. Depth just lets you wait longer before it needs refilled, but the amount of area that it spreads is what determines how much humidity it will produce. Glad you figured out how much that is for you, but it will differ for every incubator type.

Back
Top Bottom