January 1, 2011 Quail Hatch Along

The rookie set 19 eggs yesterday
big_smile.png

Yardbird asked to see set ups. Its a little late once we start the hatch. Its, add water as needed, FAST and shut the lid. But I tried to show a few eggs in their racks. I am just using a Hova bator with quail egg racks on an automatic turner. Once they hatch and dry they'll look just like my avitar, put I am putting up a few more pics for you to look forward too. I think this camera is going too, but its what I have.

Note that the parents of eggs #1 & 3 are the grandparents of the eggs #5. So F1's and F2's hatched, raised and selected together to produce F3's and maybe more F2's. But will probably set more F2's in a separate hatch later.
17739_104_0330.jpg

The egg that has a G is from the growout pen and is an egg layed at 5 weeks old, the egg in back is her egg at 6 weeks old, you will notice that it has settled into a more normal range for this age. I do not expect the 4-5&6 week eggs to hatch but some actually have in the past. Her large eggs were double yolk so odds are against her. But she is going to be a big one for sure. She is one that I will separate and check her egg to see if she is still laying double yolkers. Hope not, as she is the first double yolk Quail egg I have had.
17739_104_0329.jpg

After they hatch I will put them in one of these brooders for a short time, before they go to the outside brooder. Depends on weather.
17739_104_0198.jpg

This is what they should look like. All Jumbo Browns with a scattering of Jumbo Manchurian Golds. Maybe a White tossed in for good measure.
17739_2nd_hatch.jpg

Hopefully they will grow up to look like this.
17739_104_0206.jpg

And then at 7 weeks (these are 2 M. Golds)
17739_104_0328.jpg

As bad as that last pic is I am not sure if I am going to have a camera for the hatch. Sorry, but I bet money goes to the birds instead of cameras.
edited to explain my generation breeding better. Excuse me raising.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not ignoring you guys. I am living vicariously threw you until spring. I am in no way encouraging my quail to breed yet. Along with my three parrots in the house I have been forced to bring in the the "pygmy" quail because of the cold. They loose their tiny little minds over the least little thing and that gets the parrots to screaming. These are the same birds that use to run up and peck me on the shoes then stand there and look at me as if the say "Slave, why are you late with my food?" I don't get them sometimes. Absolutely no fear of me in the big pen but I can't even walk near them while they are in the house. I also have three coops to build before spring: 1 for the OEG bantams and the Serama trio that I inherited. 1 for a turkey and 1 for my trio of quail that is not going back into general population. I am also trying to plan on how I can get some Lady A eggs come spring and where I can put the pen outside. If I can get that built before spring I maybe able to slip those eggs into the 'bator with out someone else knowing what I am up to.
tongue.png

I think they count, these new people need to see what hatchlings look like. Me to, I have forgotten.
Maybe someone (Mrs Fluffy Puffy) will set eggs on the 1st of the year and lead another hatch to get new people going.

Lets see, that gives them about 2 weeks to get ready. Incubator and eggs ordered or hatched. And there is always one of us starting a hatch and of course the southern breeders always have something in their bators, if we get desperate this year for quaily pics. We can always pester them. Hummmmmmmmm.

But remember people, once they hatch you have to have a place to brood them until they feather out and right now that means inside for most people, even me. Then a place to raise them now that its winter. Especially the little buttons that can't handle the cold.

Thanks for the pics they are grate. I think there is a battor under my Christmas tree ill find out later. And I have 8 hens that should be laying in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom