January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by draye, Dec 15, 2015.

1. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA

I don't candle until the 7th but am expecting low fertility due to the cold weather. I did check an egg by cracking prior to attempting this but...

2. cupofJoelene

cupofJoelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2015
    I'm trying not to candle too much, but since I'm hand turning I can't help but grab a few at a time to check. Every egg I check is wiggling and dancing!

3. TheLukeMeister

TheLukeMeister Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    That's great! [​IMG] What day are you on? Be careful, I don't mean to be condescending or anything, but I candled way too much on my last incubation, and I dropped an egg that was developing great and I felt terrible.

4. cupofJoelene

Jul 8, 2015

Day 11. So much change and yet so far away! Yeah, I'd cry if I ever dropped a grower. [​IMG] The area the bator is set up makes the carpeted floor next to my bed my candling area. I'm afraid of butterfingers dropping eggs!

5. TheLukeMeister

May 18, 2015
    Awesome! Yeah. Ah, good. Yeah, I am too.

6. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Reached my hand under Rose today, one of my few winter layers, pulled out a lovely egg and proceeded to drop it. It hit the nest bar on the way down. Ugh!

7. cupofJoelene

Jul 8, 2015
    I've stuck eggs in my pajama pockets in the morning and cracked them against each other enough to finally beg my sister into sewing me up an egg/harvest apron. I love it!

8. MindyNE

MindyNE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    Yes, they are shipped. I have been reading a lot and everyone has an opinion. I waited 48 hrs and kept them upright in the bator. I will leave the ones with loose air cells upright and maybe let them hatch that way? I started to gently turn them this morning. I have a still air bator and I only added water yesterday when the humidity dropped below 25%, and only in one channel.

9. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska

I've filled my egg apron only to jump in the truck and crush them against the steering wheel.

10. TheLukeMeister

May 18, 2015
    Well, it's day 4 now and I just candled and I didn't see anything. I'm gonna wait a couple days before I candle again. Is it normal not being able to see anything at this stage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by