January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by draye, Dec 15, 2015.

1. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Yeah. I can set the interval they turn, or turn the turning off completely (for lockdown). And the white trays have tops also, so when it goes into lockdown I put these pins in the corners of the tray and then put the tops on the pins, to keep the chicks from falling out of the trays.

2. Joplus

Joplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Oh wow nice setup I can't wait to see the outcome. Happy hatching [​IMG]

3. Joplus

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm running about 30% to 45% but I think it's not low enough for the green eggs. But I have 2 green ones vs 34 tan and white eggs that look good so I'm leaving it. It's tough with mixed hatches you know.

4. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    Do the green eggs need really low humidity? I have Americaunas that I've bred with my Blue Splash Maran to make Olive eggers and was planning on incubating in the same run with my Marans. The Marans do better from 55% to 65% would that be too much for the green Americaunas? I have a second incubator but I was planning on getting a second run a week later with more of both. Do you think they'd be incompatible together for the humidity levels?

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

I run all my eggs at the same humidity. Usually around 50 to 55%. I try to bump it up just a tad the last two or three days before hatch. It's hard to get my humidity to the exact that I want but this has worked for me the last two hatches.

6. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Set 3 more eggs today for a grand total of 26, hope the olive eggers do OK with my humidity level-running at about 35% until lockdown.

7. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi! I had 10 silkie eggs that I set 12/26, 9 are still going strong. I set another 24 on 1/1. I can't even imagine having 96 set at one time! Good luck with all those babies!!!

Happy hatching everyone!

8. Joplus

Apr 15, 2014
    I do very low for my Marans too. I was told dry the first week, a little water the 2ND week and as high as you can get it the third week. I heard the dark shells make it hard to lose water. And the same appears to be true with the green eggs I have right now I'm realizing. So I would combine them and just watch the air cells.

9. Joplus

Apr 15, 2014
    Day 13 so I had to take a peek. Wow!! I actually see chicks moving. It never gets old. I feel rude shining a light in them when they move. Tomorrow I'm going to candle all of them. It takes forever, I literally need someone to keep an eye on the toddlers while I do it. I need to trace the air cells and the toss the clears. I'm optimistic. I don't want to speak so soon but I'm really thinking the fan I added is making a huge increase in my hatch rate and if nothing else it's soooo much easier to manage the temperature, no heat spikes.

10. TheLukeMeister

TheLukeMeister Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    So, some how the incubator got unplugged last night and the eggs were cold for about 8 hours. They were on the beginning of day 7. Are/could they be alive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by