1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by draye, Dec 15, 2015.

1. FloofyChick

FloofyChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Columbia Tn
    hmm.. I say plug it in and keep fingers crossed. There is always a chance they could be fine.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. TheLukeMeister

TheLukeMeister Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. I'm glad I decided to put some eggs under my broody.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

x2.

4. butterfliesdoku

butterfliesdoku Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    So today is day 8 and I saw two little embryos! One of my eggs has me a bit confused though; it has veins but I don't see an embryo. Any ideas? Also in the porous egg I see a large black dot that could be an embryo as well but it's hard to tell because of the pores.

5. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

If you google "chicken egg development" you will see lots of 21 day charts showing the different things that appear on different days. The black dot could be an eye, beak, or the egg tooth. If you look long enough, you may even be able to see some movement. As long as there isn't a red ring in the egg (indicating an embryo that has died), you're fine.

6. MindyNE

MindyNE Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    Most of my eggs look like this on day 5? I don't see any veins and 3 are too dark to see anything. What do you all think? Toss them?

7. TheLukeMeister

TheLukeMeister Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    That's what mine look like. Some look like they might have veining but I'm gonna wait till day 10 or 12ish. Don't toss them. You should wait awhile.

8. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    These are going in the incubator tomorrow. Going to let them turn for a day.
    Blue Splash Marans just a couple
    Black Copper Marans 12
    Black Marans with Splash rooster possibly 5
    Wheaten Marans with Splash rooster Possibly 5
    Blue Marans with a little Copper with Splash rooster possibly 4
    3/4 Blue Splash Marans 1/4 Golden Laced Wyandotte 2.
    Americauna with Spplash rooster for Olive eggers 11. I removed 2 for my Crossbreed hens
    [​IMG]

9. NTBugtraq

Mindy, day 5 is too early to make any decisions. I would say the egg looks unfertilized, but so what, it can stay in the bator easily till day 10 with no ill effects (you can even eat it on day 10 if its unfertilized), so just be patient.

10. NTBugtraq

Great colors Shadow, but you may want to have a closer look at egg shapes. The bottom right corner, for example, looks too circular to me. Eggs need to have a big and small end, and I know Maran eggs are known to make it hard to decide which end is which, but if there aren't distinguishable ends I've been told it can make it hard for the chick to complete the pip around. Same is true with eggs that are bullet shaped...or have a really pointy end.

At least make a note to yourself about which ones aren't typically egg shaped so you can see at the end of the hatch if it had any influence.

Are these all laid by your hens? or did you buy some??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by