January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

Went to check on broody this morning. She got up for a drink while I was out there so I got a good look. 4 out now. All black - I was expecting more variety from a barnyard mix. Maybe he has a dominant roo. She got them all tucked back under her very quick so hopefully she'll get some more. It's over 24hrs from the first one hatching and I think that one wants to get out a bit - when I first went out he was out from under mum having a look round.

And one of these from a blue egg. So a small chance I'll get a blue or olive layer if it's a girl and grows up OK. Fingers crossed for the other blue egg hatching and increasing my odds on that.

I have 7 eggs due tomorrow, 3 blue/green (EE or Legbar), 3 white (wt or brown leghorn) and 1 BCM. Father roo to all is EE. Cant wait to see the colors on our own homegrown chickies! I also have an egg or two due each day for the next week because 1st week of January I just threw in any egg i liked the looks of. I know should have them up and set at once. I already hatched our 1st homegrown last week, blk australorp x EE roo, chick looks to be a girl and is jet black even black legs. Cant wait to see these 7 hatch, I can see through the window a blue/green pipping a day early!

Last year I had my brooders in my living room, 3 of them 3'x5', and wow I could not believe the dust. So this year I am brooding in my greenhouse. The challenge is, of course, keeping a high enough temperature in there given how cold it is outside (0F to -5F over the past week). I've been able to get as high as 110F at a reasonable height above the brooder floor, so that's a good sign.

I'm thinking I need 95F at chick height for at least the 1st week; my question to all is, what is your ideal brooder temperature and for how long?

Oops..meant to say well out of 7 eggs due tomorrow..2 are hatched! Both out of blue / green eggs, and the 3rd blue green is pipping. No signs from the white ones or BCMs..i was mistaken there's 2 white & 2 BCM due, not 3 white & 1 BCM. The 2 hatched are brownish stripey so cant tell if they are from the Legbar or EE hen. I'll open the bator tomorrow

I started my hatch on 1/3/16. I started with about 28 brown n green eggs. My chicks should be 3 full EE, and the rest are 3/4 EE. I have the incubator on lockdown now, and I have two pipping with chirping. My temps have been good and humidifier temps are holding at 55-60.

Got 7 little chicks now. 6 black ones and one little brown bantam. Both my blue eggs have hatched, so I have some chance of a blue or green layer from this lot.

Back
Top Bottom