January 2016 Hatch-Come Join Me

Not sure you can see a mine and pardon the red tint. Taken in the brooder room with the heat lamps going.

I was wondering if everyone had moved over to the Easter HaL.

89 into lockdown today. I am very disappointed with candling, so now I just look for obvious clears and leave it at that. That fact does, however, allow me to imagine a 93% fertility rate...;-] (I've been averaging ~75% until now)

Another problem with not culling too many is that now I cannot fit all the eggs onto the trays laying down, I've had to put a couple into holes they don't quite fit in...;-[ I think I will load laying down next time...but then there's no way it will hold more than 84.

My weight loss at the beginning of day 19 is spot on (well, I should have lost 2 grams more out of the over 6Kg I started with). Its amazing the control you have with this bator and Brinsea's humidity pump.

Now all I have to do is keep them alive until my Premier 1 heat panels arrive in the next few days.

My first hatch in our new coop brooder! Lots of room to spare in it... Very dangerous position to be in, lol. CHICKEN MATH.

Wow, looks very cool. Over the last couple of days I tried such a heat lamp at various heights, and the best I could get was ~70F overnight. That won't work, so I opted for those Premier 1 brooder plates. Have you checked your temps in the brooder?

Wow, looks very cool. Over the last couple of days I tried such a heat lamp at various heights, and the best I could get was ~70F overnight. That won't work, so I opted for those Premier 1 brooder plates. Have you checked your temps in the brooder?

I don't check with a thermometer in there, I just go by how the chicks are acting. Huddled under light - too cold. Staying away from light - too hot. They're comfortably mosying around and toasty! But I have more of a chicken house than I do chicken coop. It's a big storage shed original to our house fully finished with electric. I don't battle with drafts or weather, which makes it easy.

While I'm here... So far 18/24 are growing, the rest weren't fertile (1 barnyard mix, 5 Ameraucana). That leaves 13 Ameraucanas and 5 mixes in the bator!

Edited to add: these are on day 7.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom