January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Finally, some time (and some weather!) to get some work done outside. Lots of chips from our pine tree in use - and still a gigantic pile to go!

So I attempted vent sexing, thinking how hard could it be? I mean there is even a youtube video of children doing it, right? Wrong, maybe I'm not doing it right or it's too early because they all looked exactly the same and the one I was sure was a boy- I'm not seeing any pimple looking thing... Hmm, I think I'll wait a day and try again

So I attempted vent sexing, thinking how hard could it be? I mean there is even a youtube video of children doing it, right? Wrong, maybe I'm not doing it right or it's too early because they all looked exactly the same and the one I was sure was a boy- I'm not seeing any pimple looking thing... Hmm, I think I'll wait a day and try again

I love it!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

This reminds me of my very first hatch. My husband watched a video and declared himself ready to vent sex our BCMs and OEs. He quickly flipped the little birds upside down and made declarations "boy, boy, um, girl, etc" He was 1 for 7....even luck should have been 50%, right?
Except for a few BCM and a couple Barred Rocks, I now hatch almost exclusively sex links or auto sexing breeds!!
1f423.png
1f600.png
1f600.png

I hope so too! Especially since it looks like you are a nurse and probably work long shifts :(
I'm lucky that I worked a short shift today since I had 2 babies hatch at 4am! A buff orpington and a silver penciled rock (both from MPC). This is my first time hatching eggs, my last babies I got were already a week old from a local breeder. How long does it take before the babies will eat and drink? I left them in the incubator for about 10 hours and moved them to the brooder since they were knocking the other 3 eggs around so much. They have no interest in the food or water yet. How long before I should be concerned about them not drinking?

Does anyone know how early is too early for treats provided they have grit? I found a recipe that is supposed to be really good for boosting their immunity it has cottage cheese /carrot/ nettle/oregano/oatmeal and garlic... I'm thinking I'd like to offer them their first serving tomorrow, is that too early?

In other news, one of my incubators goes on lockdown tonight! It contains 2 BCM eggs and 1 WTB. Wish me luck! Still waiting on my other OE chick to pip otherwise 4/5 successfully hatched under my broody...

Back
Top Bottom