January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Thanks. I’ll check in the morning. But so far what I’ve seen it’s looking like wry neck 😞

It was walking backward with its head between its legs when I put it on a flat surface to check it. It will also walk straight in the brooder but with its head down.

I’m hoping it will be normal tomorrow, but if not, I’ll treat it. I just don’t see myself treating it for too long unfortunately, so I’m hoping it will heal fast.
I've been luck enough to not have to deal with that one yet. I hope it works out for the better. Does it make a difference if you wait to treat it? Culling chicks always breaks my heart.

I've been luck enough to not have to deal with that one yet. I hope it works out for the better. Does it make a difference if you wait to treat it? Culling chicks always breaks my heart.

What I’ve read is that to treat it takes a lot of time and effort. I won’t cull it unless I see it’s quality of life deteriorate. It was the only black chick that hatched out of the 6 so I really want it to get better

Trying to decide how to use my 10% off coupon from Tractor Supply. I have 2-50# bags of chicks starter in my cart in anticipation of the hatch. I purchased Nurture Right incubator and brooder plate last week without the coupon. I knew it was coming but those items were time sensitive so I had to forgo the savings.

The last of the shipped eggs have been added to the incubator. My totals: 33 in the still air incubator, 22 in the Nurture Right.

First batch is set to hatch next Tuesday-Wednesday. 6 local brown eggs and 1 Trader Joe's egg in that lot.
IMG_20210113_153926260.jpg

Thanks. I’ll check in the morning. But so far what I’ve seen it’s looking like wry neck 😞

It was walking backward with its head between its legs when I put it on a flat surface to check it. It will also walk straight in the brooder but with its head down.

I’m hoping it will be normal tomorrow, but if not, I’ll treat it. I just don’t see myself treating it for too long unfortunately, so I’m hoping it will heal fast.
Put vitamins in the water. I use Rooster booster. It works after a couple days, the bad thing is that Silkie chickens do get it frequently and you will need to give more vitamins off and on for the rest of their life.

I had a third chick hatch last night on day 24. It was wetter than usual when it hatched and it had a swollen belly. It is still very weak & not able to walk so I am not sure it will make it. My other two chicks are active & healthy though, so at least I have those two. We’ll have to wait & see what happens.

Put vitamins in the water. I use Rooster booster. It works after a couple days, the bad thing is that Silkie chickens do get it frequently and you will need to give more vitamins off and on for the rest of their life.

Thank you. Yes, I got it some vitamins and he’s slowly getting better. He can eat on his own and drink water and he’s starting to have his chin up and not on the floor as if he’s moping.

Thank you. Yes, I got it some vitamins and he’s slowly getting better. He can eat on his own and drink water and he’s starting to have his chin up and not on the floor as if he’s moping.

I hatch a lot, not sure I should be admitting to that proudly or whispering it LOL. As common practice, when chicks are removed from the incubator, their beaks are dipped into the waterer that has Nutri-drench in it. It does not matter to me that my own birds are conditioned correctly or if they come from a hatchery, they get nutri-drench in their water for 48 hours. If I see a chick with problems that could be conceivably attributed to a vitamin deficiency, they get a drop of half strength nutri-drench. That has only happened though on shipped in eggs.

It is better to give the chicks every advantage as soon as possible as we can to have healthy chicks.

my 2cents worth :)

I hatch a lot, not sure I should be admitting to that proudly or whispering it LOL. As common practice, when chicks are removed from the incubator, their beaks are dipped into the waterer that has Nutri-drench in it. It does not matter to me that my own birds are conditioned correctly or if they come from a hatchery, they get nutri-drench in their water for 48 hours. If I see a chick with problems that could be conceivably attributed to a vitamin deficiency, they get a drop of half strength nutri-drench. That has only happened though on shipped in eggs.

It is better to give the chicks every advantage as soon as possible as we can to have healthy chicks.

Same here. There's always one or two that really seem to benefit from the extra initial support. Do you worry about the Nutridrench expiring? Just now I realized mine is probably 2+ years old. :idunno

I do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom