January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Checked my eggs for the last time before hatch, they’re all looking good. The saddled air cell in one has evened out a lot in the last couple of days. I’m getting my hen set up in the brooder tomorrow so everything will be ready for babies while I’m gone and my mom will hardly have to do anything.
I have another hen starting to act broody so I may end up hatching some next month too. Idk why all my hens are choosing to do so in the winter though.

My USPS Shipping Text alerts didn't happen, so we were surprised for an abrupt call to come pick up eggs. But they rested and got into the new generic 'bator last nite. Upright start, with no turning first 3 days on this one. Then side turning rods undisturbed for most. I may do a couple under a lamp if they don't fit well, and since one got a clumsy crack repair.

Hopefully the eggs got better handling in transit than the notifications. 😬

I had only signed up for email alerts, not mobile messages, because the gmail app does push notifications about new messages. I guess I lucked out that part of system was more or less working.

Got my first pip already! I guess mystery chick 'BOB' decided they had enough of being stuck in the shell 😄

20210117_065648.jpg

No pips this morning but it's not day 19 for a couple more hours. I think a few will hatch tomorrow day 20 and a couple on day 21.

It's day 7 this evening for my Marans and Olive Eggers. I've been checking them occasionally and they look good. Especially the Olive Eggers. 13/16 are developing. I think just 8-9 of the Marans are but I'll know more this evening after candling.

Sweet. Reminds me that when they were babies, when I would lower the digital temperature sensor into the Brooder my Barred Rocks would try to peck it, and a Jersey Giant would rush to sit on it as if it were an egg. Scared me a few times when i thot the Brooder was too hot, and it always turned out to be Wyley's belly heat.

Back
Top Bottom