January 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
'BOB' has hatched. Looks and feels like they barely had enclosed the yolk by the time they escaped the egg, "belly button" is almost but not quite completely closed as it should be. Thinking to treat is same as small injury, putting some ointment and see how things go.

20210117_125402.jpg

It's day 7 for my Trader Joe's eggs. Day 5 for the local brown eggs. I'm down to 6 TJ eggs. All from the 352 (Julian date) batch which I don't believe is coincidental. They got a few less days in the fridge and probably a different experience with shipping.

Those 6 TJ eggs are looking good. I'll stop short of saying they've caught but they look stronger everyday.

Nothing to report on the day 5 eggs. They look solid. I would be surprised if I don't get at least 5/6 of those ones hatched.

Just for fun I'll share the breeds mixes they might be. Roosters: Barred Rock, Light Brahma, Rhode Island Red, or Lavender Orpington. Hens: Hens: Lavender Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Light Brahma, Dark Brahma, Speckled Sussex, White Leghorn, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, or Golden Comet.
I've only seen a medium brown egg come out of this flock. The chicks hatching from this flock recently are all either black (BR looking) or white (some with spots).

View attachment 2476590
How did you learn what Roosters there might have been? Inside info on TJs farms?

How did you learn what Roosters there might have been? Inside info on TJs farms?
Whoops. I probably wasn't clear but the breeds I listed are for the brown local barnyard mixes I'm incubating side by side with the Trader Joe's eggs. I'm not sure about the rooster used on the fertile TJ eggs. Sadly I'm down to one TJ egg at lockdown. If it hatches I'll dig into it a little deeper.

9 of 10 shipped blue ameraucana eggs hatched and are doing fine. The last one #10 was a full assist hatch! Was malpositioned with head between legs and couldn’t pip internally or externally.Thankfully the Assisted Hatch article in BYC helped me bring this little one into the world this morning. Though it wasn’t really covered in the article I was able to use the info in the article to tell when it was the right time to do an internal pip for the chick so it could start breathing air on its own. I was able to tell where the beak was in the center of the egg, but visible from the air cell membrane by the mouth movements they make when absorbing blood and yolk. (Beak was pointed away from membrane). S/he is being watched carefully in the inkybator until strong enuf to be with bothers and sisters. Is just starting to wobble around but needs more rest. How resilient His creation is!
180D7753-2A4B-456E-A62A-A83CD85E306F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom