January 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I use an XL dog crate for brooding, and I line it with cardboard. That keeps the chicks from getting out between the bars when they're tiny. I round off the corners though, so none of them can get stuck there and trampled.
I think I'm going to have to do this. Can you post pictures of your brooder? It's the first time I'll have brooded in an XL dog crate, and I'm really stressing about how to keep the chicks and wood shavings in the crate and not all over my garage. I'm starting in large tubs, but they'll probably outgrow those in a week or so.

Here's a picture. It worked really well. If I brood chicks (ie, don't have a broody hen), I will do it this way again. You can just see the heat plate on the right side of the crate. And cute chicks in the mirror. :)
IMG_0994.JPG

You can see that the cardboard is bent/wrapped around in the corner. It's just round enough that the chicks can't get "stuck" there.

I had some 2x3 welded wire fence around one side of the crate, with some sheets draped/clothes pinned to it. I would sit in there, open the door to let them out, and have some play time.

The left side faces a window. That helped them get used to the natural dawn/dusk cycle.

The crate was about $90, so not cheap, and that was 3 years ago. I looked at it as a one time expense, and I have more uses for a dog crate than just brooding chicks. I use it to harden off plants for the garden (minus the cardboard). Critters can't get in, and I can drape sheets over the top for warmth and to adjust the amount of sunlight.

Here's a picture. It worked really well. If I brood chicks (ie, don't have a broody hen), I will do it this way again. You can just see the heat plate on the right side of the crate. And cute chicks in the mirror. :)
View attachment 3379593
You can see that the cardboard is bent/wrapped around in the corner. It's just round enough that the chicks can't get "stuck" there.

I had some 2x3 welded wire fence around one side of the crate, with some sheets draped/clothes pinned to it. I would sit in there, open the door to let them out, and have some play time.

The left side faces a window. That helped them get used to the natural dawn/dusk cycle.

The crate was about $90, so not cheap, and that was 3 years ago. I looked at it as a one time expense, and I have more uses for a dog crate than just brooding chicks. I use it to harden off plants for the garden (minus the cardboard). Critters can't get in, and I can drape sheets over the top for warmth and to adjust the amount of sunlight.
Thank you!!! That gives me some good ideas!

My first set of chicks, I used a heat lamp. Never again. I had it securely attached, so I wasn't worried -- much -- about fire risk. However! Our electric bill was up $30 that month. The heat plate was $45, IIRC, but much safer and cheaper to use.

Plus, it didn't make everything red! :gig

I don't use wood shavings until chicks know how to eat regular food. (Actually don't use them at all.)
I start them off in a big box, lined with 2nd hand cloth placemats (like the dinner table kind.)
Below I am using bamboo placemat, then toss when soiled. I sew baby bird beds (boxes with material on top) but make the stitches small so they don't catch their toes on them.
cf.PNG

Here's the eggs that were shipped...
45a.PNG

From the left carton starting with the one egg on top, they should read like the list above.
44.PNG

Below is the view of them in the foam...(they were not shipped like this, I took off some foam...
44a.PNG

Candled, no cracks, yes some had loose air cells I am not worried. I handled them gently in the candle, They are up right and resting pointed end down.
I will not move them until I load them in incubator with turner off for 3 days. (As suggested by a different hatchery.) Then I will candle again and the turner will be turned on if the air cells are fixed.

Based on your drawing, my eggs’ air cells appear closer to the 7 day line at day 14. Running the incubator dry for now. Lockdown is scheduled for Tuesday.
Some times when it is closer to hatch the egg will change and get a good slope. I will visit with you again on Tues.

Here's the eggs that were shipped...
View attachment 3379805
From the left carton starting with the one egg on top, they should read like the list above.
View attachment 3379806
Below is the view of them in the foam...(they were not shipped like this, I took off some foam...
View attachment 3379809
Candled, no cracks, yes some had loose air cells I am not worried. I handled them gently in the candle, They are up right and resting pointed end down.
I will not move them until I load them in incubator with turner off for 3 days. (As suggested by a different hatchery.) Then I will candle again and the turner will be turned on if the air cells are fixed.
Those from Meyer? Looks like mine did when they arrived.

Back
Top Bottom