january hatch-a-long

First baby is out!
20190201_061817.jpg
yes it's a turkey

I had three chicks hatch up till 1 am when I went to bed. This morning 3 more were hatched when I got up. I left to go and she is zipping now. The time is 10:59 am and the last one just hatched.

Purchased 8 eggs ( mixed breeds)
1 went bad the first week incubating _ removed and discarded.
7 remained and hatched as of 10:59 am on 2-1-2019!
1 bad one was Jersey Giant
4 are Easter Eggers.
1 is Light Brahma
1 Barred Rock
1 Golden Cuckoo Marans

2 of my Christmas chicks (the RIR and the BA) appear to have gotten frostbite on their feet during the cold.....We locked them in the big coop with all the older chickens and heater, but they managed to push the end door open and get out sometime during the afternoon when windchill was -15 or colder. watching and hoping we don’t have to cull them:hit:fl

Any idea when the shipped eggs were collected?
Protracted, late hatches and late quitters (if temp, humidity and turning were adequate) are often from eggs being stored too long. Late quitters can be a breeder nutritional deficiency or from old breeders. Those are things out of your control.

If it were me, I would lower the heat plate to almost half the height it is at unless the room is very warm. I like to have it almost touching the tallest chicks.
Yes the room temperature was very high that day. When I first got the brooder plate I did try it lower but the temperature got well over 40°c so now I have it set full height and it sits at about 35°c at chick level on average days (39°c and higher during the heatwave we have been having past couple weeks) but first week after they are out of the hatcher and colder days I have a heat lamp at the other end of the cage for them as well. So far most of the chicks seem to prefer the lamp but these chicks went under the plate straight away. Last batch of chicks I turned all the heat off at around 2 weeks old because the room temperature was about 38°c because we have had hotter than usual days this Summer. Today it's a bit cooler so the lamp is back on. My heat plate is a titan, I just wish it had a way to regulate output based on the temperature at chick level. I'm considering getting a big incubator to modify a bit for use when chicks first come out of hatcher.

2 of my Christmas chicks (the RIR and the BA) appear to have gotten frostbite on their feet during the cold.....We locked them in the big coop with all the older chickens and heater, but they managed to push the end door open and get out sometime during the afternoon when windchill was -15 or colder. watching and hoping we don’t have to cull them:hit:fl
:fl hope they are ok

Yes the room temperature was very high that day. When I first got the brooder plate I did try it lower but the temperature got well over 40°c so now I have it set full height and it sits at about 35°c at chick level on average days (39°c and higher during the heatwave we have been having past couple weeks) but first week after they are out of the hatcher and colder days I have a heat lamp at the other end of the cage for them as well. So far most of the chicks seem to prefer the lamp but these chicks went under the plate straight away. Last batch of chicks I turned all the heat off at around 2 weeks old because the room temperature was about 38°c because we have had hotter than usual days this Summer. Today it's a bit cooler so the lamp is back on. My heat plate is a titan, I just wish it had a way to regulate output based on the temperature at chick level. I'm considering getting a big incubator to modify a bit for use when chicks first come out of hatcher.
OK. At those temperatures, they don't need a heat source of any kind. If more than a couple chicks and above 30C, I don't use any heat at all.

You could also use a thermostat with the heat plate so it only comes on when ambient temp drops below 30.

Back
Top Bottom