Japanese Bantam Thread!

yuckyuck.gif
hahaha that's too good!
I know @AK FLOCK SWAP has some pretty nice japs....all colors....but I don't know if they sell. you should ask!
I'll have to remember to check. Thank you!

Wanting NN Bantam Pullets OR And Japanese Buff Black Tailed Pullets. who has got Em ?
Yeah, good luck with the BTBs. I've been trying to get girls for my roo for 2 years. Poor guy's is gonna die a virgin cause he's attracted to Marans and seeing that is just heart breaking. Think bucking bronco. I think I may give him a couple of OEGB hens just because. LOL ......My black mottles are doing fine, but the BTB eludes me. Hope you find some.

barnie.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

GAAAAAAAHHHHH! im so mad right now! just went to check on my jap chicks......one of the two hens I was going to show in the October fair is developing a stupid CARNATION COMB (or maybe u=its just a weird forming comb like a carnation? ill post pics later ;)) !!!! AGGGGHHHH! and my jap roo is looking to have a weirdly shaped pupil.....only one though. the other looks to be fine. Mareks? could it be? how?

well, you all have a nice day
big_smile.png

~Bantambury

Last edited:
My lil 25 week old White Blacktail named whitefeathers won out. She's been broody for nearly 2 weeks. Would not get off the nest. Just peck and peck at me, and when I'd take her off. Oh; she gets mad as an old wet hen. So, today, I had 4 eggs from 3feathers, that I put under her. Now to see if she will live up to her stubbornness, and hatch those eggs.

I don't know. These pullets have been laying for only four weeks. They've been fed laying pellets since they were 18 weeks old, so hopefully the egg shells are tuff enough to last the incubation period. 2feathers is broody also, but all I have to do is open the nest box door, and she flies off. So, no eggs are going under her until she does as whitefeathers. Now the waiting game.
old.gif

Last edited:
My lil 25 week old White Blacktail named whitefeathers won out. She's been broody for nearly 2 weeks. Would not get off the nest. Just peck and peck at me, and when I'd take her off. Oh; she gets mad as an old wet hen. So, today, I had 4 eggs from 3feathers, that I put under her. Now to see if she will live up to her stubbornness, and hatch those eggs.

I don't know. These pullets have been laying for only four weeks. They've been fed laying pellets since they were 18 weeks old, so hopefully the egg shells are tuff enough to last the incubation period. 2feathers is broody also, but all I have to do is open the nest box door, and she flies off. So, no eggs are going under her until she does as whitefeathers. Now the waiting game.
old.gif

my silkie marshie went broody for 2 weeks. just when I went to order silkie eggs from catdance she dropped out of it. AAAH!
rant.gif

well.....good luck with these! from my new years hatch I got my first Japanese pullets! SO HAPPY!!!!! they will live with Cadbury, my lone, old, existant boy.....well he is only 9 months
hide.gif
ahahahhahahaha

now the question is.....how will I bring these new young'uns to the flock? could I bring my roo I hatched in as well? will Cadbury accept him?

may I see your boy? I love the roos! so pretty!

my silkie marshie went broody for 2 weeks. just when I went to order silkie eggs from catdance she dropped out of it. AAAH!
rant.gif

well.....good luck with these! from my new years hatch I got my first Japanese pullets! SO HAPPY!!!!! they will live with Cadbury, my lone, old, existant boy.....well he is only 9 months
hide.gif
ahahahhahahaha

now the question is.....how will I bring these new young'uns to the flock? could I bring my roo I hatched in as well? will Cadbury accept him?

may I see your boy? I love the roos! so pretty!
This is STEE: Not a good pic. He's turning away and it look like he has no back. He's with the flock at present, but I have 2 more to choose from. STE is more genteel, and friendly. His tailfeathers were at first lightly trimmed in white, but they are increasingly white as the days go by. So much so, that he'll be culled.

Here is LiL Blacktail, and against the gate is Big Blacktail. 'LiL' is the dominate Roo. I like his Comb with the large " > " in the back of it.. Not friendly, but more typical of what I want to see in this breed.

All of these are of the August 2013 hatching. I have 2 more of a total of 5 Roos, but so far they aren't showing me anything. Decisions, decisions.
hu.gif

Last edited:
This is STEE: Not a good pic. He's turning away and it look like he has no back. He's with the flock at present, but I have 2 more to choose from. STE is more genteel, and friendly. His tailfeathers were at first lightly trimmed in white, but they are increasingly white as the days go by. So much so, that he'll be culled.

Here is LiL Blacktail, and against the gate is Big Blacktail. 'LiL' is the dominate Roo. I like his Comb with the large " > " in the back of it.. Not friendly, but more typical of what I want to see in this breed.

All of these are of the August 2013 hatching. I have 2 more of a total of 5 Roos, but so far they aren't showing me anything. Decisions, decisions.
hu.gif

uugh! gorgeous! wish Cadbury had such wide tail feathers! hope his brother will do well! I see the more his sickles are crowing white is beginning to appear at the base....is this bad?

WELL! Took long enough for me to get my camera set up to take photos of my chicks! HAHAHAHA! they are getting SOOOO big! I have decided 2 weeks ago I am no longer calling them chicks; but savages. LOL all they do is attack anything they find! 6.5 weeks old today. I am keeping my roo to sell for later on......Cadbury, his older brother (from my breeder's trio, so they are related) is looking very nice, so hoping Cadbury II will look the same!

This is Cadbury II. He is Cadbury's brother.....HOPEFULLY the name will give him luck with his tail like Cadbury's!

This is Epinesa. she is a sweetheart and crazy curious! my favorite girl! she will live with Cadbury once she is older. I am showing this lovey in the NC state fair this year!

This is Atna. she is just a bit shy but is very sweet. she will also live with Cadbury. sadly it looks as if her comb is growing like a carnation! no fair for her in October.

ONE QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU WHO BREED JAPS.....
if my breeder had a jap trio......and Cadbury, Cadbury II, Epinesa and Atna all came from them....is there any chance I could breed Cadbury with Epinesa when she is old enough to lay? Cadbury is now 9 months.....I don't know if them being related is terribly bad.....I could just cull heavily if any of the babies hatch weird......CORRECT????

+ ??? POSSIBLE ???

(edited to add photo of Cadbury)

Last edited:
From what I have gathered about breeding is, father to daughter and mother to son are perfectly fine. Breeding brother to sister isn't too good, but some people do it if they are trying to keep certain traits within their line. But Im not 100% positive.

uugh! gorgeous! wish Cadbury had such wide tail feathers! hope his brother will do well! I see the more his sickles are crowing white is beginning to appear at the base....is this bad?
bantambury: You've got a very nice Roo. The white at the base if the sickles is typical, but too much white showing on the sickles themselves are not a desirable trait. As STE has aged , a white pencil trim around some of his sickles has produced more and more white. Had it stayed a pencil type marking , it would have been beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom