Japanese Bantam Thread!

WELL! Took long enough for me to get my camera set up to take photos of my chicks! HAHAHAHA! they are getting SOOOO big! I have decided 2 weeks ago I am no longer calling them chicks; but savages. LOL all they do is attack anything they find! 6.5 weeks old today. I am keeping my roo to sell for later on......Cadbury, his older brother (from my breeder's trio, so they are related) is looking very nice, so hoping Cadbury II will look the same!

This is Cadbury II. He is Cadbury's brother.....HOPEFULLY the name will give him luck with his tail like Cadbury's!

This is Epinesa. she is a sweetheart and crazy curious! my favorite girl! she will live with Cadbury once she is older. I am showing this lovey in the NC stAtna. she is just a bit shy but is very sweet. she will also live with Cadbury. sadly it looks as if her comb is growing like a carnation! no fair for her in October.

ONE QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU WHO BREED JAPS.....
if my breeder had a jap trio......and Cadbury, Cadbury II, Epinesa and Atna all came from them....is there any chance I could breed Cadbury with Epinesa when she is old enough to lay? Cadbury is now 9 months.....I don't know if them being related is terribly bad.....I could just cull heavily if any of the babies hatch weird......CORRECT????

+ ??? POSSIBLE ???

(edited to add photo of Cadbury)
no problem breeding them together ............. it's done every day . Just have fun raising some more Black Tail White Japs !!!

Can anyone help with potential colour outcome of a cross?

I just saw a beautiful barred Japanese bantam cockerel in the pet shop. He is the only one of that colour.....the first one I have seen in my area for 4 years!

There is no hen to pair him to. I have pure white Japanese at the moment.

If I cross him with a white hen will some of the chicks be barred?

Is it worth my buying him? I don't want to spend a lot of money on him if I can not get some barred chicks from him.

He is such a lovely colour....and show quality.. the right shape and very short legs.

Thanks for any help.

I just saw a beautiful barred Japanese bantam cockerel in the pet shop. He is the only one of that colour.....the first one I have seen in my area for 4 years!

Is it worth my buying him? I don't want to spend a lot of money on him if I can not get some barred chicks from him.

He is such a lovely colour....and show quality.. the right shape and very short legs.

Thanks for any help.
It's been many years since my schooling in Animal Husbandry, so I am just guessing.
Shoot at 25% Barred and 25% White from the hatch of 10 eggs. The other 50% would show various markings.

It's been many years since my schooling in Animal Husbandry, so I am just guessing.
Shoot at 25% Barred and 25% White from the hatch of 10 eggs. The other 50% would show various markings.
Thanks.. I just think he is so cute and perfect!!! I will go back to the shop in a few days... I am selling them some young chickens from my flock. I will see if they will do some kind of exchange or price reduction as I have a lot of good quality Japs for them this time.

I will get a photo of him (if he is still there when I go).

Hi, I have a Japanese bantam hen who is about 7, and we now have a Japanese roo who was born in early August. Will my hen's eggs be fertile and viable if I let her set if she gets broody this summer? I'm worried about her age, and we haven't ever had a roo for her. I'm so clueless about this stuff, but I'd rather have her hatch her own eggs if possible instead of ordering the eggs through the mail, though she has hatched some of those successfully. Any insight for me? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a Japanese bantam hen who is about 7, and we now have a Japanese roo who was born in early August. Will my hen's eggs be fertile and viable if I let her set if she gets broody this summer? I'm worried about her age, and we haven't ever had a roo for her. I'm so clueless about this stuff, but I'd rather have her hatch her own eggs if possible instead of ordering the eggs through the mail, though she has hatched some of those successfully. Any insight for me? Thanks.
Yes; her eggs should be well fertilized by now, considering the roo is a good one.

Thank you so much! I look forward to watching her raise her own babies, though she's been an amazing mom to her adopted ones as well. I always got a kick out of it when she raised full sized chickens and here she was, smaller than they were, clucking to tell them something was good to eat! So cute. She's such a sweet chicken that we'll love having more like her.

Thanks for any help.
yes grab him up ..... they are scarce now a days(smile) . Yes use him with your whites and see what you get ... i've heard that using black also works with barred .... we probably should call them cuckoos . as you can tell i'm no expert on this but i don't think one needs to be inorder to have fun with japanese fowl .

yes grab him up ..... they are scarce now a days(smile) . Yes use him with your whites and see what you get ... i've heard that using black also works with barred .... we probably should call them cuckoos . as you can tell i'm no expert on this but i don't think one needs to be inorder to have fun with japanese fowl .
I am going to the shop tomorrow. Very excited. I have many colours of Japs at the moment... including white, and black. I will put him in with a white and a black hen when he is old enough... then see what chicks I get.

I can also back cross the chicks to their parents and see if that helps too.

Today I am going through my chickens and selecting the ones to keep and the ones to sell. Its very stressful and hard to decide.

I seem to get the best colours but they have the wrong body shape, or legs too long. Then the right shaped and short legged ones are not as good colours. I also end up with way more roosters than hens.. its been like this for years. Strange.

I will get a photo of him ASAP. I love this breed - its so easy to get hooked on breeding them.

Barred is the variety in Japanese. Barring is also sex linked if I remember correctly. So all chicks from this cock bird should have barring. Again if I rmember correctly about barring being sex linked.

Back
Top Bottom