Japanese Bantam Thread!

Three more days of waiting to see if my White Japanese Blacktail pullet will hatch her 4 eggs. I have 3 pullets that are 28 weeks old today, and two went broody , so I set some eggs under each one to see what they would do. Of those two pullets, the one I call Whitefeathers acts like she knows what she's doing. She won't move off her nest, just ruffles her feathers and pecks my hand when I check on her. 2feathers, on the other hand, sets a few days, gets off and eats and drinks, takes a dust bath, then heads back to the nest. She doesn't like it when I check on her, and flies off the nest, so I don't bother her at all. 3feathers is a true layer so far. She was the last pullet to begin laying 5 weeks ago, and is very consistent in giving 5 eggs a week. I want more like her.
D.gif
jumpy.gif

We had an absolutely AMAZING hatch this weekend! 21 of 24 eggs that went into lockdown hatched. Humidity dropped to 30 Friday while I was at work and I expected to lose the entire bunch that had already pipped before it dropped. They were stuck, but with some help they all hatched and are doing just fine. The rest popped out like popcorn. Blacks, Black Tailed White, and Mottled
love.gif

Most should be SQ and a few with long legs will be sold as pets. Can't wait to see how my mottled babies turn out!

Welp!; 3 days past hatch date, and no chicks. Last night I pulled 2 eggs out from under her, and candled them, they had a nice air pocket in one end. Maybe they'll hatch yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I now have two other japs sitting. They just don't seem to be very dedicated at this young age.

Last edited:
Wry tail is not a good trait in show birds.

It's a disqualification. Many fairs use "judges" that aren't actually licensed judges. Any real judge that routinely places wry-tailed birds should have his/her license suspended.

Last edited:
My lil Jap White Blacktail has been setting for 25 days. Candling the eggs, everything looked good, sort of. Instead of 66% of the eggs blackened, it was like 50%. So, today, I opened one of the 4 eggs, and discovered a complete chick that was dead. I'll give the others one more night, then take her off the nest, and remove all the eggs. I believe the culprit is the lethal Mutant CP Gene that kills 25% of the chicks prior to hatching. I've got two more pullets sitting. One with 2 eggs, and one with the last 5 eggs they laid before going broody.

My little Chabos will be coming on the 17th! I can't wait!!!

BTW, What do you think of my name ideas? My chicks will be three Black Japanese, so I chose a few words related to night/darkness and translated them into Japanese! I narrowed them down to these four:

Kurai (Dark)
Yoru (Night)
Sutā (Star) (pronounced soo-tay)
Nisshoku (Eclipse) (pronounced nis-shoku)

I think I'll go with the first three, but the fourth is also an option.

My little Chabos will be coming on the 17th! I can't wait!!!

BTW, What do you think of my name ideas? My chicks will be three Black Japanese, so I chose a few words related to night/darkness and translated them into Japanese! I narrowed them down to these four:

Kurai (Dark)
Yoru (Night)
Sutā (Star) (pronounced soo-tay)
Nisshoku (Eclipse) (pronounced nis-shoku)

I think I'll go with the first three, but the fourth is also an option.
That should work if you can't come up with something about their character that would change your mind.
D.gif

OK I guess I have to go another route, so thought I'd ask the experts. Is there a chance I could breed BTW or white to my BTBuff? I want BTB really bad and he's gorgeous, so I want more just like him. Which color would be my best bet?

Back
Top Bottom