Japanese Bantam Thread!

Please help me put a name to these colours I have in a couple of my Jap Roosters.

What colour is this guy?

And his grumpy looking friend?

Thanks.

Okay. So, the cages are done for my fair birds, and they are caged. I'm really worried about Makino though. He's started to adopt the "Proper", or at least somewhat proper, Japanese bantam pose, but along with that, there comes the problem of the fact that he's dragging his wings on the wire and ruffling feathers. Mom tried straw, but his poop gathers in the straw, even when we clean it daily, and he drags his wings through the poop and stains them..
he.gif
barnie.gif
I was wondering, what would you guys suggest? Deep shavings? Sand (I dont know why I asked sand, because wouldn't he just get dirty...)? I just want to keep him looking nice. Here are a few pics of Makino.

Add no less than 3" of Pine Shavings inside the cage to control foul odors, dries the poop rapidly, and keeps the wing tips clean. Avoid using Cedar Shavings as the aroma is very strong and could affect his breathing.

Last edited:
Ok, time for an update! My chicks are now 5 weeks of age, and I am thinking both are cockerels... :/

Chick A: A little bigger than chick B with more wattle growth.

Chick B: Somewhat smaller than chick A, but I still think both are cockerels.

Their legs don't look quite as long as when they were chicks, but still terribly long anyways. Their backs are long, their tails carried too low, etc. Not very good show birds, whatsoever! If anyone missed this last time I posted, these birds are from Murray McMurray Hatchery.

I would like to breed my jap to get a frizzle but I am not sure which breed to breed to, a cochin or serama? I have heard pros and cons on both, anyone with any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to breed my jap to get a frizzle but I am not sure which breed to breed to, a cochin or serama? I have heard pros and cons on both, anyone with any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Which ever you choose it will probably take a couple generations and some back crossing to get the breed traits you want...

Which ever you choose it will probably take a couple generations and some back crossing to get the breed traits you want...
That's what I figured, but I remember reading somewhere that one was preferable to the other based upon the traits that would be passed.....I wish I could remember where I saw it. Thanks!

Anyone on here with a frizzled jap they would like to sell and are willing to ship to VA for a decent price? Depending on location, could be picked up!

That's what I figured, but I remember reading somewhere that one was preferable to the other based upon the traits that would be passed.....I wish I could remember where I saw it. Thanks!

Anyone on here with a frizzled jap they would like to sell and are willing to ship to VA for a decent price? Depending on location, could be picked up!  

I have a frizzled Jap in my avitar. She's not for sale, but I believe there is probably Serama in her background rather than Cochin. None of her chicks has had feathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom