Japanese Bantam Thread!

Thanks for the input. The pictures on the rock wall were after I had already had it for 9 weeks. How old would you guess it was in the picture with the red dish in the blue bin?
After blowing up the pic of the rock wall, all I can say is he has matured. In that pic, his comb doesn't conform to a true white Japanese BT cockerel.
In the red dish pic, he appears to be 3 to 4 weeks old.

Will/can a Japanese Bantam rooster mate with full sized non-bantam hens?
If the hens are ready to accept him, (calm and patient), he will eventually figure out a technique.

Got this chick from the animal shelter. They thought it was a Delaware because of the coloring but now I'm pretty sure, judging from pictures that this is a female BTW Japanese bantam. Am I right or am I in denial? We got "her" the first day of April and the shelter thought because of feathers that "she" was possibly 3 weeks. Thoughts on age? I am very very new to chickens.

Maybe I am just REALLY trying to will my chicken to not be a rooster, but this image is of a hen and I think it looks just like my Tiki (minus the black). Am I crazy?? (Hope it's ok that I attach this!)

The image came from: http://www.ask.com/fr?q=black+taile...300&imageheight=300&fs=44&f=2&fm=i&fsel=1&qt=

Maybe I am just REALLY trying to will my chicken to not be a rooster, but this image is of a hen and I think it looks just like my Tiki (minus the black). Am I crazy?? (Hope it's ok that I attach this!)

The image came from: http://www.ask.com/fr?q=black+taile...300&imageheight=300&fs=44&f=2&fm=i&fsel=1&qt=
The hen in this pic is likely older than your Tiki. My BTW hen is 10 months old and her comb is no where near that size. In fact, its smaller than your cockerel. My roo on the other hand, had a comb much faster than his girlfriend and they are the same age. You will know in time for sure, he will either crow or she will lay an egg :)

If anyone is interested, I have black mottled eggs on the crazy 24 hr auction thread. It ends right after midnight and I started them cheap.

Here's my black tailed white jap Yuki. We got her from our neighbors who breeds them. I want to show my chickens, so I was wondering if Yuki seems show quality.

Of course I would clean her up :)

Thanks!

this hen looks a bit older than your young one. I have to say it is a black tailed white Japanese bantam roo. I thought my Cadbury was a hen. since he was the only jap that hatched, I thought it was a hen because of no comparison. japs a re beautiful. I hope you can still keep him if he starts crowing.

looks like you have a roo. this was my roo, Cadbury when he was around your age of your roo.
here is my roo now:

Will/can a Japanese Bantam rooster mate with full sized non-bantam hens?

yep, and what a sight it is! my jap mates with my OE, and he rides her all around the coop. its great. at first, once I started incubating the eggs I had no idea if they were fertile but when they hatched I was estatic! the birds were not bantam, they were more like standard bantam crossed. its cool! the hens almost came out FULL Japanese!

Back
Top Bottom