Japanese Bantam Thread!

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know where I can get Japanesee bantams? I live in California, in a neighborhood where roosters aren't allowe. Therefore, my chickens would have to be sexed, and very few people sell sexed chickens. I am not picky when it comes to color, and like all of them. I do want a show quality bird though, or at least one that's colors are recognized. I'd like my birds to be no more than a few days old, if possible. I want two or three birds, I haven't decided how many yet. Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
AnimalLover0330
Hatchery birds are probably your only option for sexed chicks. I have some 3 and 4 months old and I'm just now able to sex them. Still iffy on a couple of them.

Hatchery birds are probably your only option for sexed chicks. I have some 3 and 4 months old and I'm just now able to sex them. Still iffy on a couple of them.

Most hatcheries only sell Straight Run Bantams, and I've always ended up with more males than females. I think that's common among chickens.

Most hatcheries only sell Straight Run Bantams, and I've always ended up with more males than females. I think that's common among chickens.
I've heard that the most. I don't have hatchery birds and it takes a while to sex these birds. I thought I had more pullets than roos in the growout pen, but took a look yesterday and not the case. Figures. But I couldn't sell day olds or even month olds as sexed. These birds are almost 4 months old. Combs are just starting to grow in on those little cockerels. Two I could tell after 6 weeks, but then the late bloomers decided to catch up. DRATS!!

I've heard that the most. I don't have hatchery birds and it takes a while to sex these birds. I thought I had more pullets than roos in the growout pen, but took a look yesterday and not the case. Figures. But I couldn't sell day olds or even month olds as sexed. These birds are almost 4 months old. Combs are just starting to grow in on those little cockerels. Two I could tell after 6 weeks, but then the late bloomers decided to catch up. DRATS!!

I don't have a good eye for sexing them. If those 4 month old Japs aren't crowing, I'd say they are pullets. All my Jap Roos had good sized combs at 10 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom