Japanese Bantam Thread!

I am pretty sure this is a Japanese bantam rooster. Can someone confirm? He has white tips on his super long wings.
Oh were you asking about the Jap as the breed? Looks like it, but I don't have black, so not sure about the white tips unless their going to change. Does he have short legs?

He has the shortest legs! He looks like he is always sitting down. He is adorable. He is also very sweet. He loves to be picked up and held. He hops around with his tail perked up and tries to get feisty with my other tiny rooster but it just looks funny, not aggressive. All my other birds are big breeds so I think his mini rooster attitude will fit in very well.

He has the shortest legs! He looks like he is always sitting down. He is adorable. He is also very sweet. He loves to be picked up and held. He hops around with his tail perked up and tries to get feisty with my other tiny rooster but it just looks funny, not aggressive. All my other birds are big breeds so I think his mini rooster attitude will fit in very well.
Sounds like a Jap. My little BTB, Lowrider was my first Japanese. Never been able to find hens for him and he's gorgeous. He's been raised with anything from Marans to Rocks and doesn't realize how tiny he is. I've seen him bucked off the backs of huge hens and the other hens sound like they're laughing. LOL He doesn't take crap from bigger roos and most times he's a loner and just hangs out. I tried giving him OEGB hens when I lost the roo, but cooped for 3 days, he almost died. He hates being cooped or penned. He has free run of the yard, which terrifies me, but the alternative that he won't eat or drink while penned is also terrifying to me, so he's everywhere. Those tiny little legs are quick. My kids are all grown and my chickens are embarrassing to them. They've never been animal nuts like me and I guess I was to much, but my youngest 2 love Lowrider. My daughter (27) is always asking me to catch him so she can hold him. I'm old, I try NOT to chase down chickens and he's one of the hardest to get hold off. You can see my pens from my neighbor's yard and people are always asking what's wrong with him and my Black Mottleds and I explain the tiny legs for the breed. I have one guy yell at me, that I wasn't feeding them right and the needed calcium because I had ruined the bones and the legs didn't grow. I told him what they were and he still kept it up, so I took my laptop out and showed him this thread. Back when it first started. His wife and the neighbors all teased him all day for being a jerk and not knowing what he was talking about. Was kind of funny to hear him say things back there and have everyone say "are you sure? I'm gonna Google it!" Then they'd all laugh. He was a real jerk, so I did a lot of smiling while I took care of the animals that day.

Know it alls rarely know it all!! Even if they did, the abrasiveness they exude usually makes me look elsewhere for information. I've been hearing good things about this breed, specifically about the roosters being pleasant to have in your flock. This little guy and the other bantam are just cute. I have them in with a Maran, 3 barred rocks, two brahmas and some wyandottes and he seems to be everyone's buddy. They all sleep around him. He has the most shrill and sweet sounding peeps and tweets and he seems to really like being held. My son is only 8 so he thinks all these pets are great. We have reptiles, fish, birds, and a dog too. I'm sure a day will come when he tells his friends to pay no attention to his crazy, animal/nature loving tree hugging mom!! Haha. I can already see it.

Lowrider has the funniest little crow. Took him a while to even look like a roo. About a year. Then one day I heard this little crow and thought "Nooo", but there he was, under a tree with no one else around. A few minutes latter, there it went again. Even his breeder thought he was a hen. His parents had been shown all over and she knew her birds, but my little late bloomer had everyone fooled but one people on BYC. Illa! That woman can read anything and knows way more than the average human, when it comes to chickens. She did the same thing with my first blue AM roo. LOL And he either gets along with or ignores some birds, but he's definitely one of the yards best birds.

My Black Japanese bantam roo made the most adorable attempt at crowing this morning. It sounded so funny and cute! Made me smile and I really needed it!!

I just listed a dozen Black Mottled egg on the 24 hr auction thread, if anyone is interested. Selling low right now, so I don't get backed up again.Those little suckers lay like crazy!

Back
Top Bottom