Japanese Bantam Thread!

Pics
Hi. Can anyone tell my what colour my Rooster is? Also are my chickens Japanese Bantams or Serams? I always thought they were Japanese Bantams but one poultry minded friend says they are Serams. I don't mind what they are - I love they all!

Im looken for a pair of all white japanese bantams, i live in hickory nc, if anybody has any for sale let me know or if ur in a different state let me know if u ship or no, email me at [email protected] thanks

Hi. Can anyone tell my what colour my Rooster is? Also are my chickens Japanese Bantams or Serams? I always thought they were Japanese Bantams but one poultry minded friend says they are Serams. I don't mind what they are - I love they all!

Looks like ginger/wheaten split to me...

Thank you for you reply. I was luck to find him in a pet market. Usually I only see the whites and buffs with black tails. He fathered some chicks a few months ago -but only 2 survived from 4 (a large crow type bird ate the other 2.

One is a hen and has grown into a lovely quality bird with very good shape and colour. However, I don't think his 'son' is really his because he has very very long green legs and his body shape is like a game chicken!!!!

Think his mate had a fling with our neighbours fighting cocks that sometimes come into our garden.

057.jpg

"Megs"... what a beauty!

Love these rascals! I thought this was the breed I wanted Japanese Bantams when I get to Vancouver, Wa. However, I had no idea of the problems with the leg issue... (never had anything but, "yard birds" and "field chickens").
Looks as if I need to do a little more research. Still, I think these are ranking in as my favorite.

Anyone have knowledge on a clean legged bantam that does well in the wet/cool climate of Southern Washington State?
Thanks, in advance.
Peace and blessed be.

Urk, the only "leg issue" I know of is the most desireable birds have short legs, and the pet quality has the longer legs.
There's nothing wrong with them, for pets it is better to have the longer legs, so they don't drag their bodies on the ground and get muddy.
And if you can't find a breeder nearby, get some hatching eggs, and cook your own!

I live in NY state and its pretty cold here. I usually try to keep them in pens of 3+ for there own body warmth. and i have 2 heat lamps i turn on when needed.
some roos combs have gotten frost bit but that was on the worst nights.

Thank you. I have been looking at Australops (sp) also... There are so many beautiful birds in this world... sigh...
My girls will be nothing but "pets with benefits"... so to speak. HA!
Peace and blessed be.

That's too funny, your hens are having coop affairs, who knew the drama of your coop?

Thank you for you reply. I was luck to find him in a pet market. Usually I only see the whites and buffs with black tails. He fathered some chicks a few months ago -but only 2 survived from 4 (a large crow type bird ate the other 2.

One is a hen and has grown into a lovely quality bird with very good shape and colour. However, I don't think his 'son' is really his because he has very very long green legs and his body shape is like a game chicken!!!!

Think his mate had a fling with our neighbours fighting cocks that sometimes come into our garden.

It's been fun reading through this thread! My husband wants to know where my finished products are from all the "sewing" I've been doing on the computer (read the entire LF Heritage Thread too!). :)
My son is working with Japs for his 4H project and has acquired a nice SQ/BQ self blue cock and hasn't found anyone with any hens or pullets for sale. We live in Central Oregon & would prefer to get adult birds. He is planning to join the Japanese Bantam Club, but he has to spend his own money on his project and is wanting to get some hens first(tried hatchery birds & wasn't pleased). We will be going to the Stevenson, WA show next month & would love to be able to pick something up there. NPIP would be a big plus though we will be getting our flock tested soon, & if we get adult birds, they will be tested as well.

Thank you for your help. You may message me or email me at [email protected]. Rhonda

PS- Terry- where can we get your book and about how much do they cost?

Back
Top Bottom