Japanese Bantams and Seramas are the same?

jm93030

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
I was looking at the japanese bantams and the sermama pictures and they look very similar
is ther eany difernce?

thank you

not the same, huge difference...

check out the american serama thread, the malaysian serama thread and the japanese bantam threads... also, google for breeders or standards of perfection for both breeds... way different origin and breed all together...

About the only thing that is the same between the two is the tail carriage. Japanese are bigger, have a horizontal body and wing carriage, and should have shorter legs. Serama are smaller and have an upright body carriage with a vertical wing carriage. There are several other differences but these are the most notable.

Quote:
Thank you

I was just looking at the tail and I was assuming the legs could be the same

But now that you mention this details I can see the diference

Last edited:
The Japanese Bantam was a large part in the making of Serama, but they are two separate breeds. The serama are smaller with a full upright chest, vertical wings and tail, with a good, muscular and lengthy leg to carry the wing vertically. A proper quality Japanese Bantam should be around 20-24 ounces, short leg with horizontally held wings and a vertical tail. I was taught if you can see the leg on a jap, there too long!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom