Japanese Button Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jaymean, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jaymean

jaymean Just Hatched

Dec 15, 2016
    I purchased two new button quail from a local pet shop. I previously purchased two Chinese button quails from the same shop. This time, the quails were tagged as "Japanese button quails." Do "Japanese" button quails exist? I've only heard of Chinese button quails or Japanese quails (coturnix).

These look almost identical to Chinese button quails with the exception of being slightly lighter in color and slightly bigger. I've had Japanese quails before and these are much smaller than those.

Any ideas?

2. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Can you post a pic? They might be a thing but I haven't heard of Japanese button quails before

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Pretty sure there is no such thing as japanese buttons. Most likely just a different color mutation of buttons and they might have been fed better as chicks since they were larger. But I agree, a picture would help.

4. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's more likely the pet shop is confused. I'm far from an expert but in my experience it's hard for them to be knowledgeable on so many species at once so I always take pet shop info as suspect until I find info that confirms it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by