Japanese Coturnix hens not laying eggs

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
This may have been discussed, but I could not find a good read, so I am asking:
I have Coturnix hens, 45 days old today, who are not yet laying eggs.
They are separate from the males, have enough light (lamp during the night), I am adding extra calcium to their diet, feed is: 20% proteins, 0.87% calcium, . I may need to change the feed, but what is the best feed for quails egglayers?

This may have been discussed, but I could not find a good read, so I am asking:
I have Coturnix hens, 45 days old today, who are not yet laying eggs.
They are separate from the males, have enough light (lamp during the night), I am adding extra calcium to their diet, feed is: 20% proteins, 0.87% calcium, . I may need to change the feed, but what is the best feed for quails egglayers?
45 days old is a bit early I think. That's only 7.5 weeks. I would say they should start laying soon though. Most say around 8-10 weeks I believe. My first batch of quail held out for about 6 months though. I found it was too many males at first and then too many birds for the size of their cage. Once I culled back, we consistently received eggs from them. Since I've been there, I've managed to learn a thing or two. I have some questions rather than answers for you. I, as well as others here, will be able to assist once we have some more information.

How many quail are there?
How many cocks and hens?
What's their pen like? Dimensions? Wire, solid floor, dirt?
The lamp during the night - is it on all night? That will actually stress them. Aim for 14 hours of light. An inexpensive timer is very useful.
I would increase the protein. I aim for 27% personally.
You said you're supplement calcium. Are you adding something to their feed? I would suggest provided finely crushed oyster shell or egg shell in a dedicated container. They'll get it as they need it.

Actually some Coturnix start at day 39-42, the Manchurian coloring, so I think they should start any time, especially since the males started crowing at 3.5 weeks. The cocks and the hens are separated, in different cages and the cages are large enough, the females make nests, as I have hay in the cage. They are cute :)
I have a timer on the lamp, 14 hours of light.
Calcium is finely crushed egg shells, now that you suggest, I will separate it in a different container, not mix with the food.
About the food - we don't have food with 27% protein in our country. The best is 24% protein and it is turkey feed and I will change it right away. Thank you for the advises!

Actually some Coturnix start at day 39-42, the Manchurian coloring, so I think they should start any time, especially since the males started crowing at 3.5 weeks. The cocks and the hens are separated, in different cages and the cages are large enough, the females make nests, as I have hay in the cage. They are cute :)
I have a timer on the lamp, 14 hours of light.
Calcium is finely crushed egg shells, now that you suggest, I will separate it in a different container, not mix with the food.
About the food - we don't have food with 27% protein in our country. The best is 24% protein and it is turkey feed and I will change it right away. Thank you for the advises!
Don't expect then to always be as early as you hear unless you know for certain that the breeding stock the come from are early layers and you keep them in a similar environment in ask ways possible as that bedding stock. In other words, I never hope to get eggs early. :)
As for feed, I actually cannot get 27% either. However, I found 40% protein feed made by Prince. I blend together 1 part of the 40% and 2 parts of a 22% feed (Purina Game Bird) and it nets me 26-27% depending on my accuracy. Its not 28% like the math would show because the game bird feed is smaller crumbles so it's a bit more mass per volume when measuring.

Yes, thank you and I did read an article that said Pharaohs usually start laying eggs later than Manchurians, their egg production is smaller, but egg size is larger than Manchurian's.
Smaller production? I am not sure. IME I get nearly 1 egg per day per hen. However, they will molt and stop laying for a few weeks. We have 12 quail hens right now and I collected 11 eggs yesterday and they just came out of molting. During molt it was 0-4 eggs per day for about 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom