Japanese leg-length genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Picco, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I will be buying some Japanese bantam eggs soon and I have a question about the genetics of there leg length. I remember reading somewhere that when a batch is hatched some have short legs and some have long. I have only ever had the short legged variety so I'm wondering about this. Does anyone know about the leg genetics?

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Xx = alive short legs
    xx = dead, won't live
    XX = long legged If all you get are short legged, then:
    1) You are very lucky
    2) You have long legged and just don't know it.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Thanks! I might have long legged after all, is there a noticeable difference. I no longer have pure Japanese bantams (predator problem), but I plan on getting some more very soon. My old hens seem to have had really short legs, but I guess I had no basis of comparison. How much does the lethal factor affect the hatch rate? How many hatching eggs should I order if I want to end up with three hens? Would a dozen be alright, or should I up it to one and a half?

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We breed short legged to short legged and most hatch out short legged. The long legged x short legged chicks seem to have longer bodies than the short x short. With our matings we figure that the ones that do hatch will be better quality. With the short legs it is realy noticable. The long legged chicks look like normal chicks when they hatch, the short legged japs have little stubs for legs, they look like they drag their rear ends on the ground most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by