Japanese leg-length genetics

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
I will be buying some Japanese bantam eggs soon and I have a question about the genetics of there leg length. I remember reading somewhere that when a batch is hatched some have short legs and some have long. I have only ever had the short legged variety so I'm wondering about this. Does anyone know about the leg genetics?

Xx = alive short legs
xx = dead, won't live
XX = long legged If all you get are short legged, then:
1) You are very lucky
2) You have long legged and just don't know it.

Thanks! I might have long legged after all, is there a noticeable difference. I no longer have pure Japanese bantams (predator problem), but I plan on getting some more very soon. My old hens seem to have had really short legs, but I guess I had no basis of comparison. How much does the lethal factor affect the hatch rate? How many hatching eggs should I order if I want to end up with three hens? Would a dozen be alright, or should I up it to one and a half?

We breed short legged to short legged and most hatch out short legged. The long legged x short legged chicks seem to have longer bodies than the short x short. With our matings we figure that the ones that do hatch will be better quality. With the short legs it is realy noticable. The long legged chicks look like normal chicks when they hatch, the short legged japs have little stubs for legs, they look like they drag their rear ends on the ground most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom