Japanese or Serama laying rate?

CrazyAnimalGirl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
West of Atl, Ga
I had my first egg yesterday, from my tiny japanese/serama hen. I know her and her hubby have been a little frisky so I wanted to just go ahead and start incubating the eggs. Could I expect an egg every day?
When will she get broody?
Should I just start putting the eggs in the incubator as soon as they're laid and have all different hatch dates?

Thanks for your help!

You probably won't get an egg every day. Every two or three. First eggs can be fertile, but they are usually smaller than regular eggs and don't offer a lot of room for developing chicks. You might have more leg and beak deformities that way. I would save the eggs for a week or ten days in a cool area, turning them at least once a day. If you put them in the incubtor as they are layed, you will be opening the lid when some are suppossed to be on lockdown. That means that you will shrink wrap the chick, and they won't hatch. good luck!

I forgot about lockdown, didnt think all that through! Thanks for reminding me!

Here's her first egg
64205_my_first_egg.jpg

She's tiny too

Laying depends on the hen.. I have some that are hard core layers, and some that are more lax. You will figure her out.
smile.png

Let me tell you what I do.....
Ok, I toss the first few eggs..see what Liz said above (Great advice!) --- unless they are of good size and it looks like they are..so whatever you think.
I keep them in a cool room with constant temps and mark the eggs. I collect eggs and keep turning them daily back and forth.
Then when I get a decent collection of them I send them to Patrick (by breeding partner) to hatch for me! lol

Personally, I like to use my broody bantam hens.. I just let them lay and they will sit on their eggs when they get enough. Then I can switch out the eggs for whatever I want.

If you dont mind her not laying for a bit, its really fun to watch them raise their own babies, but to get some quantity, you will need to use the incubator to keep her in production. If she is part serama, then she should be a super broody!

Back
Top Bottom