Java Peahen with White feathers?

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
I bought a 2 year old Java peahen about 5 months ago. There is no doubt she is 100% Java but recently after moulting she has some small white feathers coming out around her neck and on her chest. What does this mean? I've contacted the seller and he has offered to replace her but she is so bonded now to me, the Java male and 2 - 50% Java hens. She was so wild when I brought her here but now has started eating from my hand. I hate to take her back. Would there be a good reason to keep her and maybe purchase another? Thanks.

102078_1314322933898.jpg

This is one of our Java hens which started much like you are describing. It started two years ago. With the first molt there were some white feathers (or ticking). As you can see this year it is much more.
When we bought her three years ago there were none. Some say diet (?).

What little I know about it some German imports carry this trait. I contacted Doug M. I didn't get her from him but I knew he would be able to give me some insight.

Like you I felt thrilled that after time our hen settled in and we grew to love her and did not want to part with her.

But you have to consider as we did, do you want to breed her with this genetic trait? I have heard mixed reviews.
Try to contact Doug, he is familiar with this.

It doesn't necessarily mean the bird is pied. There are other genetic conditions that lead to loss of pigment, especially those that accumulate over time, that could be present within pure Java peafowl. But in any case, considering the amount of hybridization that occurs, I think it's prudent to take any assertion of purity with a grain of salt, unless verifiable ancestry can be traced back to the wild. At this point, peafowl in the US are best regarded as "mostly" whatever they appear to be.

hmm.png

Beautiful peahen....

droolin.gif

I was saying the white feathers doesn't mean it's pied because I didn't want to infer that white feathers means the Java peahen is really a spalding. The condition could be similar to vitiligo in humans, or the result of random damage to the feather follicles (either through physical trauma or biological break-down). It might be genetic in origin, or it might not be -- I don't know. But in and of itself it's not evidence of hybridization (though many "java peafowl" in captivity contain a dash of IB blood anyway).

Again, that's a beautiful peahen.........

Quote:
Who is Doug and how would I contact him. I need to get the information I was told by a breeder that knows of some peafowl out of Florida that has this trait. Seems the man I bought this one from has some of the Florida Flock. I don't believe it could be diet. I feed my peafowl quality game bird feed and they get fruit and veggies. No other peas have the white feathers. I'm undecided as to what to do. I don't know that I'm as attached to her as I get when raising chicks but she is so settled and doesn't deserve to be yanked from her home and peas she's bonded with. Would you say the Java hen in your pictures is attractive with the white feathers? Thanks so much for the reply and photos.

It Could be the same gene like in the bronze that turn white with each molts, .Myself i would keep her, not sure she is pure java either, but Doug of D&M Farms . should be able to tell.............Java are not ones i raised, because of my winters here.

I have seen a few pictures of some javas with a few white feathers. Some where at a zoo. It is definitely interesting, if it is showing up in pure birds than it would be cool if this would lead to java whites.

Yes, she is a beautiful peahen. I love seeing pictures and am so proud to have these beautiful creatures. Well, I'm not a breeder...this is a hobby. My peas are like pets so most likely I'll be keeping her. I did manage to hatch one egg after she left her nest thinking the Spalding chicks fussing in the adjacent pen were hers. Unfortunately the incubator didn't come through with all 4. Problem is if I sell her chicks and in a couple years white feathers show up I'm in trouble. I don't think people around here are willing to pay the price for more unusual birds. LOL, my thinking is all over the place. Thanks everyone for the input.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom