Java Thread

Interesting that he has the colors that are non-standard over here. Hopefully he can get some info from his dad/friend.

Yes, Javas here have single combs. Generally they are not supposed to be very big, however some of us are finding that the cockerels here in Texas seem to grow pretty big combs. We think it is due to the high temperatures we get here most of the year, and that the cockerels are compensating for the heat by growing out larger combs in order to better dissipate their body heat.

Do you think these guys I've got are Javas? I'm still not 100% sure. They do tick some of the boxes, but
hu.gif
I need to see more pics to compare. But then if the European ones are a bit different from the US ones? The black and white one's gorgeous, but that comb confuses me a bit. I've looked at the sites I've bookmarked with info on Javas and they said single comb. There is an email listed on one, inviting queries about the breed, so I think I may mail them and ask. But I thought I'd ask here first.

I received some Mottled Javas in a hatchery mix in March. There were 2 roosters and 8 pullets in a 50 pullet order. There were no Molted Javas listed in their catalog and when I contacted them , they denied sending them. No more orders from that hatchery from me, but I think I will try to hatch some next spring.

I would say those are not Javas. The colors do not look right at all (and I have seen and been working with some of the new mutations) not only that, but the body type does not look right. I am not sure what those are. It is possible they might have some Java blood in them, but I feel pretty good saying there is no way those are pure Javas.

From what I understand from discussions of old-time US Heritage chicken breeders, the chickens that are bred outside of the US can often have significant differences in them - because of individual breeder preference and because even a reputable breeder that is outside the US is not necessarily going to breed to a standard of conformation that is set forth by a US poultry group.

The only way to know for sure, would be to have genetic testing done on those chickens. Something I wouldn't pay to do if I were you. If you aren't finding that these Javas more closely resemble other European-bred breeds of chickens, then I would say they may likely be Javas (or mixed breed) even though they don't closely resemble a true, US Standard of Perfection-bred Java.

Considering that Javas are considered "American" birds, there is just no telling what kind of differences have been bred into a Java in Europe. After all, we already know that they at least made a trip from Belgium to Ireland and who knows where/when they came from before that!

There is no way I'm paying for DNA testing LOL I'll try and get to the bottom of where they came from and, if at all possible, talk to the original breeder who's eggs came to Ireland. I asked the guy very nicely to get me more information. It's just frustrating for me that I cannot find more info on European Javas! But... during my travels I found a breeders directory or something similar's website and they asked for Java breeders to contact them, so what I can do is contact them and ask if they had any responses. If anything it would be interesting to see some proper (confirmed) European Javas and I will send along whatever I find so you can have a look as well.

There is one good thing in all this confusion for me, at least. They were not very expensive! I'd have been a little upset if I'd paid more only to hear this afterwards...
smile.png

From what I understand from discussions of old-time US Heritage chicken breeders, the chickens that are bred outside of the US can often have significant differences in them - because of individual breeder preference and because even a reputable breeder that is outside the US is not necessarily going to breed to a standard of conformation that is set forth by a US poultry group.

The only way to know for sure, would be to have genetic testing done on those chickens. Something I wouldn't pay to do if I were you. If you aren't finding that these Javas more closely resemble other European-bred breeds of chickens, then I would say they may likely be Javas (or mixed breed) even though they don't closely resemble a true, US Standard of Perfection-bred Java.

Considering that Javas are considered "American" birds, there is just no telling what kind of differences have been bred into a Java in Europe. After all, we already know that they at least made a trip from Belgium to Ireland and who knows where/when they came from before that!

But that is like having a Great Dane that looks like a Basset.

All dogs are dogs, but if it has short legs, long ears and a long body it is not a Great Dane (even if somehow the only dogs used were Great Danes)

In dogs and chickens, what it looks like it pretty much what it is. So a Java that has been bred to look like something else *IS* something else.

Those are not Javas. Even if they have pure Java blood, if the body type is completely off, then it cannot be called a Java IMO.

They may not meet the SOP for Javas in the US, but we have no idea if there is a standard/what the SOP is, for these birds in Europe. It could be that these were Javas that someone imported to Europe, but did not keep up with the SOP set forth by the APA, thus the birds don't look like US Javas. Or they could be bred to someone's idea over there in Europe, of what they should be - just like the Auburn Javas that Lyle Behl has - he has bred them to what he thinks they should look like. Since I don't know what is going on in the Java chicken world outside of this country, difficult to tell someone that they don't have Javas just because they don't conform to what someone in the US decided that Javas should look like.

Would it be possible for one of you to give me a list of requirements or the standards of the US Java's? Or a good body shot and head of one, so I can see how they compare? I've read things like they have black beaks, white earlobes etc.
Sorry, the pics I posted weren't the greatest and they weren't standing up. DH snapped them as I took them out of the box they came home in. I can try and get more "natural" shots for you if you want?

Back
Top Bottom