Java Thread

A group recently were going through the Garfield flock to choose breeding stock for both the Whites and the Blacks. They have said that they believe the Whites come from recessive genes.

There are breeders working on Whites, Auburns, Silvers, but until more of these birds breed true consistently, it will be difficult to get the APA to consider accepting them into the standard. Whites looked too much like other white chickens so they were removed from the SOP. Apparently there are still problems with getting the Whites to have a consistent leg color and which leg color would even become the one chosen to breed to.

Perhaps Mottleds would satisfy your Java desire and solve the problem of the other black chickens being around until you can obtain some Whites.

(I posted this earlier on the Heritage Large Fowl thread, but thought I'd copy it here for those of you who do not follow that thread.)

Here are some photos of my Black Javas from Duane Urch, at 13 weeks of age. Overall, I like these birds a lot. I weighed a few of them yesterday. The cockerels ranged from 3.5 to 4.5 pounds. The pullets ranged from 2.5 to 3.5 pounds. These photos were taken a little before sunset. All the birds had full crops, which makes them look more full in the breast than they really are at this stage.

Here you get a feel for the overall group. Yes, there are a lot of cockerels:

One of the cockerels. Not the best one, not the worst. Just one that stood relatively still for a photo:

Same cockerel from above. This bird narrows a bit toward the tail. A few birds have wider tails. Several have much narrower ones:

The only pullet photo I got. I like her tail width and her overall shape. But she is one of the smallest pullets - around 2.5 pounds at 13 weeks:

Another cockerel, again neither the best nor the worst in the batch. His back does normally slope down toward the rear - it's more level in the photo because he was turning around. It looks like he has a slight hump in the back line. Several birds in this flock have that slight "hump," but I haven't decided if it is an illusion or if it's a real structural issue:

Same cockerel, from above:

And another cockerel. This one has a straighter slope to his back, which I like. I also like the curve of his head. His earlobe seems large, which I don't like. He's one of the medium-size cockerels:

And some more cockerels. The one on the left is one of the largest and I like its keel depth, length of back and general head shape, but its feet have white soles. Couldn't get a good photo of him:

And last but not least, one of my mystery birds. A friend of mine who also raises javas was trying to make this bird into a pullet a week or so ago. I've thought all along that it's a slow-maturing cockerel. He does have a small comb that looks more like the pullet combs, but he also has very large shanks and he is beginning to develop pointy hackle feathers. And his voice is hoarser than the pullets' voices. Time will tell. This is one of two birds in the 22 bird flock that actually has the dark eyes that Black Javas are supposed to have. He doesn't look quite as pinched in the tail in person as he does in this photo, but his tail is narrower than I would like. He is so different from the rest of the birds I am very curious to see what he looks like when he is mature. I say "he" but I won't make any bets on what this bird is until it crows or lays an egg:

I welcome any comments you have about these birds - particularly about their type issues. I have a long way to go in terms of developing an "eye" for type.

Sarah
ReplyQuote Multi

Magic Chicken,

I've got a match to your 'mystery' Black Java chick! We've gotten a few Black Java pullets with seriously overly large shanks (yes, they're laying, so I know they're girls!) - as well as a cockeral who didn't develop a comb or wattle until all the other young males were eliminated - THEN, he showed his 'true' colors! (about 16wks). Unfortunately, he was second fiddle boy, so he's now in freezer camp.....

Your fifth photo of a cockeral standing with his beak in profile to the left - he's a good looking candidate. Sometimes, feather development disguises true shape. So I always double check my decisions after a good hard rainstorm - when soaking wet, it's easier to see structure of bird! Good luck - you've got a lot of candidates there to choose from!

Very nice!
big_smile.png

I have mottled java hatching eggs in my incubator. I got them from someone that shows their javas and have good show results. The dad of my chicks won BOB in 2011. My question is that I'm having a difficult time finding the SOP for the mottled Java. Can someone tell me what to look for in a SQ mottled java? We are interested in breeding to SOP and bringing this heritage bird back. My daughter, who is 9, shows her chickens and is very dedicated to this cause.

I have mottled java hatching eggs in my incubator. I got them from someone that shows their javas and have good show results. The dad of my chicks won BOB in 2011. My question is that I'm having a difficult time finding the SOP for the mottled Java. Can someone tell me what to look for in a SQ mottled java? We are interested in breeding to SOP and bringing this heritage bird back. My daughter, who is 9, shows her chickens and is very dedicated to this cause.
Terrific! Always need more Java people that want to breed them to standard. There aren't many Javas at shows, so having your daughter show them would be a big boost for the breed.

The SOP is copyrighted material from the APA, which is likely why you are having difficulty finding it. The Java SOP has some of what you want, but not everything is in the specific Java SOP that you will need. There are other portions to the SOP that are listed in the general chicken section of the Standards. Do you have a copy of the Standards book? If not, I would recommend getting it, since there is more in there that is applicable to Javas than just the portion that is labeled "Java". http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

Joining the Java Breeders of America would also help. The group has newsletters, list serv/chat groups to get help from as you embark on your new Java adventure. http://www.javabreedersofamerica.com

That is one place to look, but you will not get any kind of warranty with it from the junk yard. Have you looked on CL in your area, maybe Someone will have a truck they are parting out. IDK where you could look. Will you convert it, or buy one already converted??? Can you get yours rebuilt? Maybe that is an option.
Good idea...but lately I have been totally busy with installing home insulation (GAK !!!!!) and re-arranging birds/cocks/coops/egg sales/ sheesh !

Back
Top Bottom