Java Thread

To Mr Moyer: Your post was interesting...It isn't all that unusual for a color totally different from either of the parents to show up in offspring...I have never raised Javas but the old time literature frequently mentions this...This is true of Javas and also Plymouth Rocks and Wyandottes...As a matter of fact the White Wyandottes are usually described as "sports" from Silver Laced.....I think White Rocks the same from Barred Rocks.......Seems like I recently read about a new Java "sport" that is Golden or Golden Red...Can't remember where I read this.....As for the comments made by some of the others in the last few posts: lighten up!.....By the way Mr. Moyer your Mottled Javas are really great looking and someone would be thrilled to get the Whites you have hatched, I'm sure...Everyone Take Care.....

Up date on our Mottle Java project. We have orders for all but one lot for next spring of ten started chicks which will be shipped out to the interested die hard Java breeder. These are a lot of Mottle Javas that we found from Dr. Albert McGraw in Alabama a old line form 1969. Never been crossed with any mutts or other breeds.

Hope you will join the Java club then read the last newsletter and its all in there about the mottled project. bob

thumbsup.gif

Does anyone know anything about mottled javas on the west coast? I am looking into possiby getting hatching eggs from Dot Ranch in OR and am wondering what you may know about those lines. I asked the breeder but did not get a response yet. I want to order early next week but wanted to find out more abut what I may be getting.

ETA: I have googled SOP for Javas and come up dry. I know broad back full breast "points on the comb starting over the eye" (Reminds me of a Bob Seager song) yellow and black legs with yellow soles for the mottled and the red eye...but I found all that on ALBC's page and I have a feeling there is much more to type than just that. I don't yet know if my interest will expend beyond hatching some eggs, keeping a couple of pullets and eating/rehoming the rest but I sure would like to know what I am looking at. So if you have a link I would appreciate it very much.
here is the link to Dot Ranch, http://dotranchchurros.com/poultry.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about mottled javas on the west coast? I am looking into getting hatching eggs from Dot Ranch and am wondering what you may know about those lines. I asked but did not get a response yet. I want to order early next week but wanted to find out more abut what I may be getting.

What exactly are you thinking of in terms of "lines" where Javas are concerned? Since Javas are even more rare than some of the other "rare" birds, I am not quite sure exactly how you were thinking when you say "lines". As you probably know, Javas pretty much went extinct. The largest majority of Javas in the country now are usually Javas that came from Duane Urch at one time or another. There weren't a lot of people that have kept Java lines from the early/mid 20th century till now, so there isn't really much in the way of multiple old breeders having separate lines for years like gets talked about in regards to other breeds of chickens.

Pretty much all Javas need help as far as size, type, and Mottleds need improvement in color as well, since they often have more of a "splash" look rather than the more defined mottling as indicated in the SOP as well as problems with white wing/tail feathers.

Well I was just reading the thread and some people, Saladin comes to mind, seem to have a real grasp re who has birds that came from where. That's what I was thinking

Your response seems to indicate that the Urch flock is generally the source of all others.

This is sort of information I was looking for. Also where can I find a copy of the SOP. Like I said in my post I have seen it referenced but I haven't actually seen it.

Well I was just reading the thread and some people, Saladin comes to mind, seem to have a real grasp re who has birds that came from where. That's what I was thinking

Your response seems to indicate that the Urch flock is generally the source of all others.

This is sort of information I was looking for. Also where can I find a copy of the SOP. Like I said in my post I have seen it referenced but I haven't actually seen it.

One of the members of the Java Breeders group has been doing the blood line research and keeping track of who went where. Pretty much since 1960, the Javas have come from Duane Urch. We have now found that there are still a few of the birds from Dr. McGraw in Alabama that were not crossed with Urch birds and didn't die out, but there are very few of them and it is not likely that the person in CA has the McGraw birds.

The SOP comes from the APA - http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm . You may find bits and pieces of the Java SOP listed in places, but if you want to do serious breeding, I recommend you get the book from the APA as there are things in it that are relevant to breeding Javas but not listed in the Java-specific SOP. We would love to have you join our group as well - www.javabreedersofamerica.com . You're welcome to message me if you'd like more information.

Have a surplus of Mottle Java Large Fowl from Dr. McGraws line. Will be bringing two pair to the Baton Rogue Show in November to share with interested Java want a be breeders who want to help keep this old line form 1959 going.

Send me a personnel message if you want a pair or the two pair. bob

To Mr Moyer: Your post was interesting...It isn't all that unusual for a color totally different from either of the parents to show up in offspring...I have never raised Javas but the old time literature frequently mentions this...This is true of Javas and also Plymouth Rocks and Wyandottes...As a matter of fact the White Wyandottes are usually described as "sports" from Silver Laced.....I think White Rocks the same from Barred Rocks.......Seems like I recently read about a new Java "sport" that is Golden or Golden Red...Can't remember where I read this.....As for the comments made by some of the others in the last few posts: lighten up!.....By the way Mr. Moyer your Mottled Javas are really great looking and someone would be thrilled to get the Whites you have hatched, I'm sure...Everyone Take Care.....

Actually it is very unusual for other colors to show up. Both Monte and myself have raised Javas for over a decade (he still has his: I let mine go last year); we have both hatched in that time more than 1000 birds and never a color except Mottled or Black.

The other colors are coming from something someone put into them. It is 'other' than Java blood.

What exactly are you thinking of in terms of "lines" where Javas are concerned? Since Javas are even more rare than some of the other "rare" birds, I am not quite sure exactly how you were thinking when you say "lines". As you probably know, Javas pretty much went extinct. The largest majority of Javas in the country now are usually Javas that came from Duane Urch at one time or another. There weren't a lot of people that have kept Java lines from the early/mid 20th century till now, so there isn't really much in the way of multiple old breeders having separate lines for years like gets talked about in regards to other breeds of chickens.

Pretty much all Javas need help as far as size, type, and Mottleds need improvement in color as well, since they often have more of a "splash" look rather than the more defined mottling as indicated in the SOP as well as problems with white wing/tail feathers.
Judge Card says in his book, when one sees white in feathers which shouldn't be, that means one is coming to the end of black "strength" in that bird.
Needs to cross black back into that breeding. Here is his book, one of the best I have ever read on the subject of breeding laws. Note these are
breeding laws, not theories or opinions. Starting on page 20. http://archive.org/details/cu31924003158312 Judge Card was Danne Honours' uncle's uncle.
The apple sure didn't fall far from the tree there. A veteran judge and poultry man, Judge Card invented the White Laced Red Cornish.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom