Java Thread

Pics
Two of my Java hens are broody and will be hatching around Thanksgiving. I question their wisdom. Rearing chicks in late November seems foolish to me, but let's see how well they do. These Javas are 7 months old and have been laying since late August/early September. We have 5 developing under one hen and 2 under the other. They should hatch a few days apart.

To complicate things, another hen is sleeping in the nest boxes. I guess that means we'll have to give her some fertile eggs as well. Hope all these babies get along.

I just found this thread!! I have been looking for BJs for a couple of years. Will anyone be having hatching eggs for sale this spring? I SO want BJs!

Jen

Nice to meet you too, javachick!
big_smile.png

sounds like a bunch of us will have eggs, lol! take a look around, see who is close to you and what you think of their birds, and have fun choosing and incubating! such a great breed...i welcome everyone to give them a try.
smile.png

Are there alot of people working with the Mottleds? Or mostly the blacks ?
Would love to learn more about their temperaments too - day to day stuff!

We raise mottled javas. THey are pretty cool birds, good temperment etc. They started laying good this year then the heat wave hit and they have been hit or miss as of late. Maybe they can get settled back down now that the heat is over.

I'm curious about people's experience with the Java's as a meat bird? I know they are supposed to be a dual-purpose, homestead type bird, which is part of the appeal for me.

I can get chicks in my area, but we are not allowed roosters. Well, actually we're not allowed anything right now, but I'm working to change that by spring, I hope.

But more to the point, if I choose blacks, I don't find anywhere sexed chicks can be purchased. I will have to plan what to do with cockerels if I cannot find someone near me who needs them. I don't relish the idea of taking them to be butchered, but I think I need to be prepared for that eventuality.

Anyhow, thoughts on their use as a meat bird?

nico demouse- They are excellent meat birds. Although they do grow slower then other meat type birds. Fully maturing around a year old, some even putting on more weight and size after that. I was just actully carrying one of my 2yr hens yesterday, and she was a dense and heavy girl. Heritage types are usually slow growers, but very worth it. The meat is actually different then faster growing chickens, in my opinion. There are other breeds that grow faster, like the Delaware. They are a heritage breed that grow faster and put on the weight by 6 mths,(not completly to full size yet, but sufficent enough if you want to butcher then) not sure if the hens will be as mature at that time compaired to the roos. Hens mature slower.
Javas are a great bird, and wonderful dual purpose bird, another benifit of them is they are great foragers. Which means that they can find most of their own food during the day, if allowed, and eat only from their feeders the rest of the time. Cutting feed costs.
I hope you will get the chance in the spring, they really are a great bird!

Hi everyone so glad we are collecting more Java lovers.
smile.png

Engteacher good luck with the new broody mamas. Please keep us posted on how well they do.

I have worked with Black Javas and White Javas in the past, but currently only have the Black Javas. I plan to raise Mottled Javas sometime in the future, but want to get my Black Javas going strong first.

nico demouse --> how is the meat of Java chickens? What surprised me the most, was the color of the dark meat. When you say dark meat: it's black. lol I have never butchered a BJ hen just extra roosters. I guess because they are good foragers their muscles are more like an athlete's, tight. Flavor: it taste just like chicken. lol (very gentle teasing... please take no offence at my humor)

I have been thinking of trying to caponizing a few roosters to see if this would create a better (tender) meat bird. I figure: well it is an old method and the Javas are an old breed... so maybe I should try the old way.

Has anyone tried caponizing? I found directions in a book, it is an old book. I love old books on poultry and have found some free on a couple web sites. I will see if I can find the link and post it.

javachick

Quote:
smile.png
What I was more wondering was, by the time roosters might bother my neighbors, would they be worth butchering? Or still too small to be worth the processing? (I would have to drive them, ironically, into Chicago to have that done).

Back
Top Bottom