Java Thread

Good to know and see the size. Oldest we have is a 5 month old mottled cockerel, everyone else is younger.
Yes, I was quite shocked with how much more filled out these older hens were. I knew mine were juveniles and still growing, still seeing them side by side was a real eye opener.

Pretty flock of birds Salzw59. I'm patiently waiting for some SQ Black Java's to hatch along with some Nankin Bantam eggs. So excited!!!

Newest additions to our flock!

Two of three proud new Mom's pictured - Six of the seven hatched chicks pictured here - can you count all the penguins?!

My biggest quandry at the moment is what to do about the remaining 3 eggs under Mom#3. She's not exactly the brightest brain in the group...and I kept having to put her eggs BACK under her, as she'd go and sit in a different place than her eggs were at. I'm afraid those last 3 eggs are dead. But I've not got the courage to 'examine' them, know what I mean? The eggs are now on days 27 - 29. Nothing is smelling 'foul' or 'off' or 'dead' from them...but still, yeesh...what to do?

Oh, could my dog smell if they were done? Hmmmm.....I wonder......think I'll try that route first! And from learning from these wonderful chicken owners, crack them open outside somewhere....in a stiff breeze!

I got brave. I had to know what was in those last remaining three eggs under broody#3!

Read and read and read under the incubating section of the forum - and learned how to float test (inconclusive) and how to candle REALLY well. What would we do without the internet?!

One egg was never fertile, cracked it open outside over the compost heap and the yolk was just liquid mush. Eew....dug deep hole in compost, chucked it in there.

One egg developed well, but seems to be dead? I've left it on the odd chance I'm not seeing things right.

Last egg is only part-way through development and kicking like crazy! I'm thinking it's somewhere around day 14? It's literally 100+ degrees here with high humidity, which is good, as Mom has deserted the nest. She sleeps on 'em all night, then goes out to play with her girlfriends and their chicks during the day. I'm leaving the egg outside, as everytime I check on it, it's warm! And I sneak it inside to candle it - chick is still alive! Growing too, as I can tell now on day 3 of candling it. The temps on Monday were kind of cool, so I ended up wearing the egg for a while to warm it up more - I think this one's name is going to be 'Victoria' as in V.Secrets - 'bra' just doesn't sound right!

This morning, Mom didn't wish to get off the nest, kept looking down at her eggs and cheeping at her chick who obviously wanted to go play. She did leave the nest with the chick - but looked back as if regretfully. So I think this last egg is getting closer. Now that everyone's out in the yard, I'm going to go check and see if there is a pip or not. When this little one hatches, I'll open the other egg - I'm fairly convinced it's dead.

Being a chicken grandma is SO much fun! I cannot wait to see what comes out next!

I got brave. I had to know what was in those last remaining three eggs under broody#3!

Read and read and read under the incubating section of the forum - and learned how to float test (inconclusive) and how to candle REALLY well. What would we do without the internet?!

One egg was never fertile, cracked it open outside over the compost heap and the yolk was just liquid mush. Eew....dug deep hole in compost, chucked it in there.

One egg developed well, but seems to be dead? I've left it on the odd chance I'm not seeing things right.

Last egg is only part-way through development and kicking like crazy! I'm thinking it's somewhere around day 14? It's literally 100+ degrees here with high humidity, which is good, as Mom has deserted the nest. She sleeps on 'em all night, then goes out to play with her girlfriends and their chicks during the day. I'm leaving the egg outside, as everytime I check on it, it's warm! And I sneak it inside to candle it - chick is still alive! Growing too, as I can tell now on day 3 of candling it. The temps on Monday were kind of cool, so I ended up wearing the egg for a while to warm it up more - I think this one's name is going to be 'Victoria' as in V.Secrets - 'bra' just doesn't sound right!

This morning, Mom didn't wish to get off the nest, kept looking down at her eggs and cheeping at her chick who obviously wanted to go play. She did leave the nest with the chick - but looked back as if regretfully. So I think this last egg is getting closer. Now that everyone's out in the yard, I'm going to go check and see if there is a pip or not. When this little one hatches, I'll open the other egg - I'm fairly convinced it's dead.

Being a chicken grandma is SO much fun! I cannot wait to see what comes out next!
Gross! You're brave - not sure I would have opened that egg!

Hope the last little guy make it. At least the high temps are good for something.

Update on the 6-7 month old mottled hens I added 2 weeks ago:

I just cannot tell you how impressed I am with these girls. They have integrated into the juvenile black java flock beautifully. When I got them, the lady told me that she was just beginning to get a few eggs from them, but wasn't certain which ones were laying. She felt it was only 1 or 2 out of the 5.

Within 4 days I got my first egg and from the size and blood on it, I think it was from a hen that had not laid previously. By late last week I had a couple of 2 egg days. Monday was another 2 egg day and yesterday I got 4 eggs!

They are sweet natured and I am besotted with them.

Heat-related:

Anyone else feeling really badly for their Black Java's? I know their feather color causes them to absorb MORE heat....and when it's THIS hot, obtaining relief is just so not in the cards.

I put a low container full of cold water in the run - they didn't get the point of it and were TERRIFIED of it. Rooster kept girls far away from fearful object. After 2hrs, I finally dumped the water out onto the ground only to find ALL of them digging in the cool dirt. Gads! Silly chickens.....

We are in week 2 of 100 degree temps. I put the mister on the hose and put it on the pen multiple times a day for 30 minutes at a time. I have electrolyte replacement in one waterer, a big tub of water in another corner. Frozen water bottles in the water to keep it cooler. Frozen gallon jugs in the coop and under it, watering the roof of the coop several times a day and feeding frozen fruit as treats. Once they got accustomed to the mister, they love it. I put scratch down in that end of the pen to lure them down there at first, but now they go in it on their own.

We are in week 2 of 100 degree temps. I put the mister on the hose and put it on the pen multiple times a day for 30 minutes at a time. I have electrolyte replacement in one waterer, a big tub of water in another corner. Frozen water bottles in the water to keep it cooler. Frozen gallon jugs in the coop and under it, watering the roof of the coop several times a day and feeding frozen fruit as treats. Once they got accustomed to the mister, they love it. I put scratch down in that end of the pen to lure them down there at first, but now they go in it on their own.
When I was in Northern California (i went down there for a few years to care for my 94 yo grandma until her death) it was routine 110 degrees the first part of April & stayed there if not up to 113 by August, finally cooling to 90s the first of October.
I hated that !!!!!!!!!!
Spend the entire spring summer & half of fall indoors with the air conditioner on.

Winters were/are down to 14 in January.

I used to dig slight holes under a big shade tree in the pen, and make sure I filled it with water every few dats.
My birds would wallow in the cool damp soil.

Sounds like you are doing all you can !

Back
Top Bottom