Jax almost died!! Freak accident!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

WOW!!!!! I am so glad that you found him in time. I wasn't so lucky with my kitty. It was years ago but I still remember how upset I was.

2. thebritt

thebritt Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    HOLY CRAP!!!! He must have an angel looking out for him! That, or "timing is everything".
    SO GLAD HE'S OK! [​IMG]

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OMG, that is scary!!!!!!!!! Thank God he is OK

4. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Actually this is not so uncommon with GSDs or Dobies. I've had both breeds hook their collars this way, which is why my dogs do not wear collars unless they are working. First time happened in the kitchen on a drawer knob and the second in the bedroom, again with a drawer knob. The first accident the dog was wearing a slip chain, so I changed over to traditional collars and then it happened again but with a different dog. Which is why I scrapped the collars entirely unless the dog is working/training. But once the session is over, off come the collars.

Glad this had a happy ending!

Rusty

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I called my DH at work to tell him about it and told him no more collars in the house! No ifs, ands or buts about it!

Jax is acting fine and his "barker" is not broken, so I think he's going to be just fine.
    Maybe it'll teach him to stay out of the forbidden room where the "cabinet boogers" live.

6. henryetta

henryetta Songster

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    dang! that would freek me out!! i JUST started having my shih tzus wear collers all the time due to my finding a little one running the streets and taking a week to find it's owner, whre if it had a collar on(or chiped), it would have been so much faster. Mine are chiped but im so afraid of loss and not find now that this sure causes a delema. So glad your little guy is ok.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Must be a problem with big-headed dogs. Mine's neck is bigger than her head, so she slips out of collars.

Anyways, GLAD you found him!!! Now you know to be careful and there wasn't any real harm done.

8. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I can name 5 people that I know personally off the top of my head that have lost dogs to collar accidents.

My dogs wear collars when I have a leash attached to them, and at no other time.

SO GLAD you found him in time. Yikes.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Geez lady! Your life is like a soap opera!! I'm so glad you found him, the little booger! I agree, no more collars in the house! Or get a break-away collar for only in the house, and one of those no-pull leaders for outside. That way, if he gets out and (God forbid!) takes off, he'll still have some kind of ID on his collar (like rabies tags and whatnot).

10. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'm sure you won't do it (especially now!) but collars in crates or in vehicles can also be dangerous. The crate hazard usually involves the tags somehow becoming snagged between the bars or in the ventilation holes. I've also heard of dogs getting their teeth stuck in another dog's collar while playing.

We're collar free unless the dogs are going somewhere, but living where we do the collars are more of a risk than they are a benefit. Our yard has cedar stays in the fence that they could easily get hung up on if they jumped. It would be highly unlikely they'd find their way to civilisation, and chances are if they got loose they might snag them on brush. They are also rambunctious in their play. If we were closer to a town it might be a more difficult decision to weigh up though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: