Jealous Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZooMummzy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm not sure if my Buff Orp Lottie is jealous or trying to tell me to leave the newest members of the flock alone!

Tonight while I was holding and nuzzling the two 10 week old EE's that have recently been introduced to my flock, my favorite 17 week old pullet came up and bit me (not pecked, bit!) 3 times on the leg. When I put the two EE's down, she pecked them both like crazy and gave me this very nasty look. When I picked her up to try and make amends, she turned her head away from me. She has always been very loving towards me....she kisses me, nuzzles me and always climbs up on me, etc.

Anyone else ever experience jealous chickens?

2. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    yes....i had some cochin chicks hatch and my other hens get so mad when i "fiddle" with them..... [​IMG]

3. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    it is also probably trying to tell you the proper pecking order: they are first to get the affection and then the little ones are next. I think really don't know for sure, just my opinion.

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:That's what I was thinking too. I guess I was put in my proper place in the pecking order!

5. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    We've got one EE who will stare at me if I'm holding any other chicken, and wait impatiently for me to put her down, after which she'll pounce on her and bite her neck. I'm flattered, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by