jello salads

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ams3651, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    please share your favorite old time jello salad recipe. I had one today that was orange jello, mandarin oranges and coconut and cool whip, couldnt find any recipe though. I love jello salads.

2. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    This isn't really a "Jell-O" recipe, but you do use a box a of Jello-O pudding and it's easy and yummy:

1 box of yellow cake mix
    1 box of vanilla or lemon instant Jell-O pudding mix
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup of veg oil
    3/4 cup of water
    1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon of butter flavoring (I use Molly McButter)

Beat 6-8 minutes until fluffy

Mix up a mixture of sugar and cinammon (1/4 cup of sugar and cinammon to your liking - I use about 2 tablespoons)

Pour some batter on a greased cake pan, and alternate batter and cinammon/sugar mixture. The idea is to have the cake bake with the sugar misture "trapped" in it, so when you cut it, it has sort of gooey bits like a coffee cake.

Bake 50-60 minutes @ 350 degrees or until the middle springs back when you touch it.

Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
    3 tablespoons of milk
    1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon of butter flavoring

Mix together thoroughly and glaze cake with this after it cools just a bit. If the cake is too hot, the glaze will just melt off, and if it's too cold, it won't stick, so test a little bit to see if it looks right.

You can also do this without the cinammon/sugar bit and the cake is still delicious. It comes out like a pound cake, not like a box cake at all.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    God that sounds so good! I am so craving that now!!!

4. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    ams3651, here are two orange jello salad recipes which, although not calling for coconut, I believe would be good with the addition of coconut. Just add desired amount when you add the oranges in.
    -------------------------------
    Orange Jello Salad
    1 (8oz.) pkg. cream cheese
    1 (8oz.) container Cool Whip
    1 large pkg. orange jello (or 2 small)
    1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained - save the liquid

Prepare jello using 3 cups boiling water. To this, add cream cheese and whip with wire whisk til dissolved. Add one cup of liquid, adding water if not enough liquid from the oranges to make a cup. Add container of Cool Whip and blend. Chill til starting to set, then add oranges and put in mold if desired. Chill thoroughly.
    -----------------------------------------

Mandarin Orange Jello Salad

2 (16 oz.) cartons small curd cottage cheese
    1 (12 oz. ) contaner Cool Whip
    2 (6 oz.) boxes orange Jello - do not dissolve Jello, just put in the dry powder
    3 (11 oz.) cans mandarin oranges, drained

Combine cottage cheese, Cool Whip and dry Jello; mix well. Fold in mandarin oranges. Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
    ---------------------------------------

In keeping with the orange Jello theme, here's the recipe that our family has eaten since I was a kid back in the 50's, with my adaptations since the original called for a 6 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper:

Frosted Fruit Salad

1 small box orange Jello
    3/4 cup boiling water
    1 cup (8 oz.) Dr. Pepper
    1 small (6 oz.) can mandarin oranges, well drained
    1 small (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, well drained
    1//2 to 1 cup chopped pecans

Dissolve Jello in boiling water; stir in Dr. Pepper and chill til starting to set. Stir in fruits (reserve a few slices of orange to decorate the top of the finished salad if desired) and pecans. Put in oiled ring mold and set. When ready to serve, unmold and frost with the following:

Use 4 oz., or a little more, cream cheese, softened to room temperature. Stir well and then stir in room temperature Dr. Pepper a little at a time until smooth enough to spread on the molded jello (should be a bit thicker than a glaze for a cake would be). Decorate with mandarin slices and pecan halves, if desired.

Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by