Jerk chicken-- and not the good kind

So funny, we were just discussing chicken entertainment and a friend sent me a video of a woman who installed a disco ball in her poultry coop. The birds all seemed to LOVE it! I am totally going to give it a try once my birds start showing signs of boredom this winter!

Looking forward to hearing how the changes to the coop went! And yes, we are unfortunately serious about making chicken stew with the chickens who refuse to behave.

We made some changes today, including another feeder and waterer, more entertainment for the run and new 18% protein feed for chicken. They will get turkey at lunch tomorrow, too. Will send update later in the week.
Good news! The changes seem to really be helping. The girls' feathers are coming back, they are gaining weight, and the bullies seem to be less attacky. The new waterer and feeder are working out great, they like the new food, and sick chicken now goes by Ellie, as she is no longer sick. We now let them free range for at least an hour each evening-- most days more like two. We are also getting a few more eggs each day. Things are looking up!

So funny, we were just discussing chicken entertainment and a friend sent me a video of a woman who installed a disco ball in her poultry coop. The birds all seemed to LOVE it! I am totally going to give it a try once my birds start showing signs of boredom this winter!

Looking forward to hearing how the changes to the coop went! And yes, we are unfortunately serious about making chicken stew with the chickens who refuse to behave.
I may need to get the girls a disco ball. That is a fabulous idea.

Just curious, what breed are they? Some breeds are nicer personalities in general than others. Some breeds are known to be "victims"...like silkies.
You might need a bigger run...good chickens get up to no good when bored. Throw in and change out stuff for them to think about. A cabbage, a cardboard box, a branch - and change them out if you can't give them more room. Good luck!
PS It seems odd that all four might be short of protein if you are feeding a good layer feed... Feed more protein when molting for sure.
Crumpled newspaper (no shiny) is a great bordem buster too, i have just learned!

Back
Top Bottom