Jerk Neighor is now considered a predator!!!

m&m chickens :

I agree with both sides of comments, good and bad, so thank you all. But, I still feel he's a jerk for killing the poor thing! All he needed to do was fire a "warning shot"...as in use the BB gun moron, and I would have had them back in the pen very easily. Then I would have apologized, cleaned his porch, and moved on. Pretty sure he's gonna be spending a lot of money on eggs - and tomatoes...dummy planted his crop in MY garden in MY yard! (I think they call that trespassing AND stealing if I'm not mistaken????
big_smile.png
) and the local SPCA will be getting a friendly tip the next time his dog gets loose (which is usually once a week) and wanders into my yard to pee on my front porch and flower pots! (which, by the way, I have igored to this point!)

We are currently working on building a portable pen using some of the suggetions offered here, so thank you to all who offered their advice!! Lowe's, here we come!

Forgive and move on. It takes more out of you to hold a gruge. He told you many time to keep the birds out and he lost it. You should have respected your brothers wishes. Maybe he should have just caught them and gave them away shooting was extreme. Life is to short for both of you just be a responsible pet owner.​

Quote:
If the dog is the predator then its the same thing, dog/predator. You might think that washing some poop of your porch isn't a big deal, but thats because you like chickens as pets, you don't mind. How would you like it if the dog came over and crapped on your porch every day? Would you go over and complain or just wash it off yourself?

I never said that it was fine for the dog to run free, I am by NO means I dog person. She has as much right to shoot the dog as he did the shoot the chicken, and I hope she does deal with the dog next time it trespasses. THAT would be the right way to get back at him IMO, not dumping more crap on his porch.

you know the old saying "fences make the best neighbors" and sometimes family neighbors can be the worst-they tend not to be as understanding or respectful --which is the case here. But he is family and you need to keep the peace-you never know when you may really need him. I don't want chicken poop on my porch and would never put myself in a situation that they may poop on someone elses--that is why my closet neighbor is a mile away--I like it like that!!!! What he did was wrong ---you still need a fence.

Have to agree that once the complaint was made, OP should have worked to get the problem taken care of. Yes, being her brother you would think he might be a little more tolerant, but if he doesn't like chicken poop on his porch he shouldn't have to deal with it.

We used to have a couple of pigmy goats that were very social. The neighbors lived down the road, but the "old home place" was by us. The goats were kept penned when we weren't home, but soon figured out a way to escape from the pen and "visit" the neighbors when they were next door. The first time the neighbor came over and complained (and goat poop IMO isn't nearly as nasty as chicken poop) we got right to work reinforcing the pen to contain them.

It seems very simple to me.

The neighbor has asked repeatedly for you to keep your chickens off his porch and now you know he will harm the chickens.

So keep your chickens home and off his property. Problem solved.

Quote:
Being related to someone should not take away ones right to keep trespassers (be they human, dog, chicken) off their property. It isn't fair to expect the brother to tolerate chickens on his property, just because the owner of those chickens is his brother. We all have the right to control what comes onto our property, regardless of the fact that it involves brothers, sisters, parents, etc.

but said neighbor has a dog that gets loose and goes into the OP's yard and messes around, poops, and is a nuisance...the OP hasn't called Animal control or SHOT the dog because it was HER brother...I can see why the OP thought the same courtesy would be extended to her...ALSO a dog can do a lot more damage and makes a MUCH bigger POOP than a chicken...
barnie.gif
he.gif

OP take his dog's crap out of your yard, and dump it on his porch with a note : "heres the presents your mutt left me in my yard...next time he visits, he wont be coming back home that day...don't worry I wont SHOOT him, but you can find him at Animal Control" (Or you could leave the last sentence out
duc.gif
)

Fair enough. I feel the same way there too, though. It does not matter whose animal is trespassing on whose property- it shouldn't be happening and both parties are (assuming the law says so) fully within their rights to remove the issue if the owner will not. I hate to see animals shot, though.

Back
Top Bottom