Jersey Giant lovers

I've got one hatchery black jersey giant pullet and what I love about her is that when I pick her up, she talks to me in a Marge Simpson voice and is so expressive.

She's somewhat flighty, her and her BFF (a starlight green egger) are the least friendly of my flock, but both of them have survived hawk attacks, so that is probably a factor in their skittishness.

Most of my chickens are more interactive. These ones tend to hang back and do their chicken things together. I'm trying to get them a little more friendly but it's slow going. And one of my bigger pullets tends to chase them off, so that doesn't help either.

Beautiful birds, and I adore her squeaky voice. I am hoping she chills out when she starts laying.

Attachments

• 20220823_125923.jpg
    20220823_125923.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
This is my rose. She is about 6 months old. She just started laying a few weeks ago. This was a picture of the first egg and the 6th they got the end of the first week. I had no idea they laid this much! She lays almost one a day, about 6 a week. She loves to lay her eggs in this dog bed. She goes outside during the day. I bring her in at night and she sleeps inside my house. I bought a diaper for her. She is a snuggle bug, very laid back and chill. I have six dogs inside the house too and she just thinks she's one of them. She jumps for treats, it's so funny to watch. Every morning I get up and have my coffee and she sits with me along with my other two. I have a porcelain D'uccle and a blue australorp chick. They're all three buddies. LOL

Attachments

• 18475.jpeg
    18475.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 20
  • 18476.jpeg
    18476.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 17
  • 18474.jpeg
    18474.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 14
Anyone breeding and/or showing their Giants?
My Jersey Giants are slightly afraid of the 'deadly' trees, and they enjoy jump scaring each other(by jumping mostly). They have such high energy when I let them out to free range for an hour almost everyday, and i just love to see them running around. They have recently started laying eggs, and now we get anywhere between 0-6 eggs a day from them. The eggs are very small. They are just slightly bigger than my easter egger hen at the moment. I got them at Tractor Supply. They are 5 months old now, and I am excited to see how nig they get! I love my Jersey Giants so far, and I got them bacause It would be awesome to have giant chickens roaming the yard! Here are some pictures of my beautiful ladies!
:love

Attachments

• 20220904_154629.jpg
    20220904_154629.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220902_161253.jpg
    20220902_161253.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220904_154535.jpg
    20220904_154535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Beautiful!

Yes, my birds are juveniles now but our plan is to select the best to breed and show. Most serious JG breeders and exhibitors wait until 10-14 months before breeding to let the birds fully mature. We will be following that rule and will hopefully show some of the offspring we get from these foundation animals.

Back
Top Bottom