Jersey Giant not growing

What do you think we should do? Let it run its course and come what may? Or should we euthanize her? She does eat, drink, and cuddle with her flock mates. But I agree, something just ain’t right and I just don’t want her to suffer unnecessarily.

we have euthanized chicks and chickens before, if they are injured beyond help or affected in a way that is clearly not fixable or reversible. However, we let “it” run its course when it is not clear that they are in such a desperate situation. In that case, sometimes they improve.

since she has never been as active or growing nearly as well, she may just have an internal issue that you cannot fix. But she might be able to live that way for awhile. It is a personal decision as to when she’s too far gone.

If you choose to euthanize, cervical dislocation is a usually bloodless way to euthanize a chicken- separating the brain from the spinal column, and is sometimes referred to as the broomstick method. On a small chick, sharp shears are quick and easy (but involves a small amount of blood). Getting the chicken calm first is best for all. So, a darkened or low light area that is quiet works well. You may choose to do this after they have settled down for the night and they are naturally more calm (particularly if you keep the light low).

I have a lovely little jersey giant... well 2 actually, but 1 of the 2 was growing MUCH slower than the others.... shes still small if compared to the group, but where as the others grew out of their "chick" look into pullets, she looked like a long legged chick. She didnt have any other issues, just small. She looks more like a pullet now... but shes still small, and she grows every day. Shes very shy, and withdrawn, but I've never seen her bullied by the others. Just keeps to herself. They say jerseys are slow growers.... maybe she just really took her time. 😁 Could be the same with yours.

Update on little Jersey Giant! She’s steadily growing and seems to have recovered from whatever was plaguing her. She’s still much smaller but eats, drinks, scratches, runs, and even roosts on the top level roost!! She’s such a wonderful girl, comes running and cuddles down on my feet every time I visit the coop!! I’m so glad we gave her time and the extra attention she needed when she was not well, it seems to be working out for her. 😊

Back
Top Bottom