Jersey Giant Pullet Lethargic and Puffed out.

PS I have a 10-mo old BJG cockerel and I really like him. He'll be the junior roo in my flock and the older roo is doing a fine job of teaching him manners! He really is a sweetie.
I love Jersey Giants, they seem like such a sweet and well mannered breed compared to all my other chickens. My other JG is a cockerel and he is the sweetest rooster I have, and he treats the hens well too.

I love Jersey Giants, they seem like such a sweet and well mannered breed compared to all my other chickens. My other JG is a cockerel and he is the sweetest rooster I have, and he treats the hens well too.
Okay, I am gonna get slammed for this, and I hope I don't totally derail your thread but .....

I actually think my BJG cockerel is the smartest one I've ever had. And his BJG predecessor I had years ago was, too. Shhh.

Okay, I am gonna get slammed for this, and I hope I don't totally derail your thread but .....
Im fine with keeping the thread going, lol! My BJG are certainly the smartest chickens out of my flock, at least when it comes to knowing how to act around me. Unlike my RIR that screams and runs a mile away when you try to pick her up... They were the first ones that learned to come when I whistle to them, among some other tricks I taught them. They also dont poop on me whenever Im holding them. They are smarter than my dogs:p!

Well, none of my chickens are pets and they are all smart enough to know that Big Blue Hen = scratch and mealworms. Brown Leghorns always gonna be "flighty," which means when coyotes and hawks cone a-calling, they may be the only survivors, so from that standpoint they are are the "smartest." What I mean about my BJG, though, is that he always seems to be checking things out in a way nobody else does (he is my only BJG), even the other roo. He is alert but not flighty. Maybe "aware" is the word I want. He always knows where "his" girls are and herds them in a way Silverwings does not. They follow him (he's quite handsome, lol!) If something new shows up, he alerts to it and moves his girls away from it while checking it out, but does not panic. He's .... sensible. Okay now I probably sound stupid. But that's my take on him. Sometimes Silver thinks he's too close and kind of jumps at him, and George will keep his distance for a bit, showing respect, but he's not afraid of Silver. He'll go back and eat near him, but keep an eye on him. But he won't attack Silver, he just respects his space. He's respectful, but also kind of gutsy. I just like him.

Back
Top Bottom