jersey giant roo crossed over ?

romaro29

Hatching
Jan 29, 2022
my last hatch (and first successful one) yielded 2 barred rock crossed with jersey giant, and one other chick. I believe it to be female, however its half the size of the other female from the hatch, and the one in question happens to be feathering out as mostly black with brown barring. to the best of my knowledge it could be a cross of jersey giant rooster over a barred rock (unlikely), a brown leghorn, a golden or silver laced wyandotte, a golden comet, or a light brahma( unlikely as there are no leg feathers). which one would be the most likely candidate as the hen?

my last hatch (and first successful one) yielded 2 barred rock crossed with jersey giant, and one other chick. I believe it to be female, however its half the size of the other female from the hatch, and the one in question happens to be feathering out as mostly black with brown barring. to the best of my knowledge it could be a cross of jersey giant rooster over a barred rock (unlikely), a brown leghorn, a golden or silver laced wyandotte, a golden comet, or a light brahma( unlikely as there are no leg feathers). which one would be the most likely candidate as the hen?
If the Jersey Giant is your dad and the chick has barring, then the mom has to be the BR. Which also means that your chick that has barring is a male. You unintentionally created a sexlink.

What were the parents.

Was the mother a Jersey Giant, or the Barred Rock?

Or, was the Father a Barred Rock, or Jersey Giant?

20220129_110559.jpg
20220129_110551.jpg
20220129_110545.jpg
20220129_110545.jpg
20220129_110545.jpg

here is the one in question pictured with the one i know is a sexlinked male for reference

father was jersey giant and mother could be any of those mentioned
Okay, you may have 1 sex link, & one not.
The black chick has a pea comb, so most likely a Brahma Jersey Giant mix. Not all chicks with a feather legged parent inherit the feathered leg trait.

thank you, im attempting another hatch with 10 eggs this time, and they should be pipping this friday. well see if that particular coloration repeats itself in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom