Jersey Giant rooster and hens. When will he crow and do what a roo do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Living Farm, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok. Rooster is aobut 6 months old and so are the hens. Some are laying but not all!!!!!When will they start laying reg....... Also, the roo, does not know he is a roo. All of the hens have pulled out his tail feathers!! He will fight with another roo if I put it in the pen but he will NOT do what a roo was meant to do!!!!! When will he start!!! Should I show him a nice Movie with rooster and hen..... :} Anyways, if you have giants, how old were they when they started laying reg and the rooster was being the boss of the pen.

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I don't know the answers to your questions so here is a bump

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't know for sure when, but I think at 6 mos mine were not doing much either. They were slow to crow and slow to develop comb. I thought they were hens for the longest. time. I only hatched out 3 from a dozen eggs, and all were roosters, and they were too big for all my hens, so I had to give them away.

4. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I think they say that the larger breeds take a little longer. I'd give him another month or so to "man up" if nothing maybe you need a new roo. [​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My roo was a good 9 mths before I saw him do the roo dance.
    A lot of my hens didn't lay well till 10 mths. But on the up side, when they did start, most of mine were double yolkers for a month or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by