1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giant with Eye Infection/Problem (pictures inside)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Paul Jones, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Out Of The Brooder

Here's my jersey Giant in better days:

[​IMG]

Another rooster started harassing him and I let them work it out then I discovered this today:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know if he lost the eye or not. It looks like an infection.

Looking for solutions.... I have him isolated and away from the other chickens as he is completely blind on that side.

Thank you.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor guy. I would clean him up with some saline around the eye, and soap and water on the other parts of his head. Weak betadine or hibiclens could be used too. For the eye, it may need softening with a warm compress for a few minutes to get it open to look at it. These two products Veterycin eye wash or eye gel may be useful in treating his eye, or just use plain Neosporin ointment:
    http://www.ruralking.com/ivesco-vet...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CO6Awsr-5sACFYZaMgodhDUAJA

http://www.revivalanimal.com/Vetericyn-Eye-Wash.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  3. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Out Of The Brooder

Thank you.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. It's always interesting with rooster behavior--sometimes they work it out, and sometimes one gets beaten up. I've never had very good luck with adding a new rooster to a flock even if young, and also when raising them together, there can be sudden battles when the cockerels come of mating age. Last year when my main rooster was molting, he was overthrown by 3 young cockerels whom he had fathered or helped raise. I later added 2 back to the flock, and they went on as before with the main rooster being in charge.

Hopefully, your guy still has his eye in there. When the swelling goes down in a week or so, you should be able to tell. Their third eyelid sometimes helps to protect the eye from damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by