Rooster loosing his balance a little

Darlingoo

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2016
I have a jersey giant rooster about 3-4 years old. Yesterday I noticed he was staggering a little and has gotten a little worse today, he’s not falling over himself just when stood still he will loose balance and take a few steps back or to the side. It doesn’t look like a star gazing thing where the head tucks between the legs and he’s not needing to sit at all. Picked him up and he’s a very healthy weight, keel bone isn’t sharp. I did notice his vent and feathers round that area very messy. He is also having no problem eating, drinking, crowing. I don’t know enough about mareks disease but from I’ve read it doesn’t seem like that. Maybe a vitamin deficiency? If anyone’s got any idea I’d be extremely grateful. I’ve got a real fondness for jersey giant so would hate for this to get worse and have to cull.

Is he near time for molting, or could he have some arthritis? Roosters age a bit faster than hens due to being more active, more high strung and on alert. Have you looked him over for any lice or mites on his body? Worming could help him, and I use Valbazen or SafeGuard. I would give him a dose of Poultry NutriDrench from the feed store, or 1/2 tablet of generic super B complex found in any store that sells vitamins. A bit of chopped beef liver or tuna might also give him a boost.

thank you for your reply, he went through a heavy molt in October and I wouldn’t rule out arthritis though I’ve never seen it in chickens before would he be sat around a lot if it was?
He has black feathers so difficult to see actual lice but after digging around I saw lice eggs on some feathers under his wings. I’ve got some permethrin spray used for lice on parrots sprayed him with that and I’ll give him a rub with diatomaceous earth in a bit. I’m in the uk so I’ve ordered the uk equivalent for wormer. Never given them beef liver be interesting how he takes to that, he did eat a huge load of scrambled goose egg yesterday.

Just thought I’d give an update on the jersey giant, he got worst over the next four days to were he was struggling to eat and drink by himself because he couldn’t keep his balance and kept spilling everything. I thought at that point it’s a quality of life situation and was better to put him out of his misery.

Back
Top Bottom