Jersey Giants in the Stew Pot????

TheHappyHen21

Chirping
Sep 14, 2015
Russell, Ny
Hi, I have purchased 10 Jersey giant chicks all female and one male. I plan on raising them for eggs and meat in the future. Probly keep my hens and grow the future chicks from my hens for meat.

MY question is, do people normally eat them now? I cant find much about people cooking them or putting them in a stew pot only in the old days.

Hi, I have purchased 10 Jersey giant chicks all female and one male. I plan on raising them for eggs and meat in the future. Probly keep my hens and grow the future chicks from my hens for meat.

MY question is, do people normally eat them now? I cant find much about people cooking them or putting them in a stew pot only in the old days.

There is a lot of information in the Meat Birds forum. Some of the people who come to BYC have strong feelings against killing and eating "pet" chickens - so most of the information and discussion happen in that forum.
The one issue I have heard of regarding using Jersey Giants for meat birds is the amount of time it takes for them to get to full size. Older birds have a tendency to be tougher when you cook them, so it is recommended to butcher roosters of heritage breeds by 12 weeks and the jersey giants have not put meat on at that age.
Cooking techniques for heritage birds are different than cooking chicken from the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom