Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote:
They are ADORABLE Chics! Great pictures. I will get some out here in the next few days. I had one hatch today!!! Up to 14 now.
smile.png

I ended up with 13 adorable fluffs. Thank you Wynette...almost all the light ones are YOURS! The darks are Maria's. I LOVE
love.gif

them....and know they will grow up to be beautiful!
My incubator is put away until next spring and hopefully I can incubate some of my own!

Ok quick question. Considering the size of JG's, how much space should I provide if I have 4. I have 3 hens and a roo. It will be a coop run combo kinda thing, and they will be able to free range often. Also, what will the babies turn out to be if the roo is blue and the hens are black. I have a long way to go before that happens since they are all about 3-4 months old, but just looking to the future. Thanks for any help yall can give.

Last edited:
Just had 9 JGs hatch, for a total of 33 Jersey Giant chicks hatched so far this year. Still waiting to see if any of the last few eggs in the bator are going to hatch. Will get pictures ASAP.
smile.png

Quote:
I'd say 4-5 ft. per hen/roo but maybe I'm estimating too small. I think it is 3 ft. per regular hen....I know the nests are suppose to be a little bigger. For colors I read:
BlueXBlue- 25% Black,50%Blue and 25%splash
BlackXBlue: 50% Black 50% Blue
BlackXSplash :100% Blue
BlueXSplash:50% Blue, 50% Splash
SplashXSplash: 100% Splash

Wish I had room to keep one roo of each color!

Quote:
Depends on if they can free range all winter too- or if you go on vacation if your pet-sitter will also free range.

Also remember hawk migration- hungry hawks, many hungry hawks that have no fear of humans...

here is the thread about "How much space per chicken"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2132

but that's jut for the coop, not a coop-run combo.

Usually here its 4 sqft per bird coop and 10 sqft per bird in the run if there's any chance of them getting stuck inside for more then two days.

Back
Top Bottom