Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

We have one Jersey Giant and three other chickens, a silver lace wyndotte, golden sex-link and a rhode island red they are all 7 weeks. We are new to chickens and when we purchased the chicks together we knew the jersey would be large but wow she just towers over the other girls! We absolutely love this chicken, she is a character! Dare I say she is becoming my favorite very quickly. Glad to have found this index, I will post pictures soon.
smile.png

pleasanton - it's so easy to rally go ga-ga over the Jerseys! I adore them!

Hope everyone's Jerseys are doing well. It's going to be in the 90s here - we went from water standing in all my runs to parched. Poor birds! They seem to be doing alright with the odd weather this year, and I have to say that on a personal note, I'm so glad to be getting eggs that are not dirt-smudged any longer!

Stay cool, my friends!

My broody #1 hatched 3 chicks in 19 days. Today broody #2 hatched 2 in 19 days. I thought JGs took longer than most breeds. Here is a pic of broody #1 out with the aunts and the proud papa.
60141_dscf0697.jpg

Hey, Tinman! Good job, broody gals!!! Every time I have ordered Jersey eggs (3 different breeders) they all told me they would take longer to hatch...all hatched on day 21. So...
hu.gif

Finally got some giants! I have 5 white and 6 black.
Was really hoping for a black roo but they all seem to be feathering at the same rate? all girls?
out of my 5 white I have 4 girls and one "slower feathering" I'm guessing is a roo.
Is my thinking correct or can you not tell that way with JGs?

Quote:
My jersey babies are doing BEAUTIFULLY!! I am NOT going to want to sell any....I'm going to wait as long as possible so I can get a really good idea of which to keep. (I'll be sending you pics to help me choose when they are older "Wynette)... they are growing fast!

AWESOME, Linda! They do seem to grow super fast and then slow down a bit...seems like my guys that are ...hmm...must be 9 weeks now...to me, they sure havne't changed that much in the last couple of weeks!

It's been a while so I thought I'd post a pic of my Blue JG Gus-Gus. He is the only rooster in the flock of 12, so he lives like a king. BUT, I think he is shooting blanks as I haven't seen a fertilized egg in over a month. That's ok, I'll keep him around for eye candy:

58919_big.jpg

He is one from kathyinmo. I also have a black hen.

Back
Top Bottom