Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Nobody commented on my hen... so I'll post her again...

44847_pocket_egg_006.jpg

The bald patches are from ex-resident silkie rooster... really man... you couldn't even reach and Fiesta wamped you every time he saw you try...
roll.png

I love the green sheen on the blacks. So purdy!

Wonder how long it takes to grow those feathers back. I have a BR that was practically cleaned off back when I had too many roos in the yard. It has been a couple of months and she hasn't grown anything back.

Here's our five Jersey Giant chicks so far with their Bantam Cochin surrogate mother. Two hatched yesterday, two overnight, and one late this morning. She still has two eggs under her--one Jersey Giant and one Jersey Giant/Easter Egger mutt. We were really hoping the mutt would hatch so we could see what that mix looks like, but we're coming to and end on the 22nd day now and are beginning to lose hope on these last two a little bit. At least one of the other five just hatched today though, so I guess there's still a possibility...
fl.gif
Thanks for the eggs Mahalo4!!!! We're so excited for these little (so far) guys!

ry%3D480

My BBS Jerseys are going on 3 wks. old tomorrow. I'm so pleased I have 13 to choose from and hope that most are pullets! I was thinking of moving them out of our basement into the outside coop with heat lamp...it has been in high 80's...mid 90's but a cold front went through last night and now it isn't even 50 out! My 5 week old BBS Orps are staying under the heat lamp out in their coop.So....I guess I'll keep the Jerseys in the basement a while longer.

I'm so happy with my Jersey Giants!!!
smile.png
smile.png
I've had 4 hatches so far from 4 different breeders, and every batch comes out with a different temperment. I have a hen out of my batch from Chris Peach that is an absolute DOLL. And MASSIVE. So far, two of my hens have been as big as my biggest roosters. We call one of them 'Big Bertha.' Are still waiting to find out if this other one is going to be that big, but wow. They're only a few months old, but everyone who comes to see them totally does a double-take. Out of 33 B/B/S chicks hatched so far, I've had only 1 splash. LOL. At least I've got a BUNCH of blues, so that I can get more splash when they start laying
tongue.png
Have been thinking about starting a separate pen for splash giants, since I have a soft spot in my heart for them. And, if everything works out right, I should have the start of a white line here in a couple weeks. (Crosses fingers.)

Quote:
Awesome!
thumbsup.gif

Yup...the longer I have my Jerseys, the more I love them. I've got two hens that are very nice, and huge. A dark blue and a splash. Interestingly, the dark blue is not nearly as big as the splash, but she lays eggs that are MUCH larger than the splash. Always thought that was interesting!

Quote:
Awesome!
thumbsup.gif

Yup...the longer I have my Jerseys, the more I love them. I've got two hens that are very nice, and huge. A dark blue and a splash. Interestingly, the dark blue is not nearly as big as the splash, but she lays eggs that are MUCH larger than the splash. Always thought that was interesting!

Wynette, I'm not sure which hens laid the eggs you sent me, but they are HUGE! And the packaging was out of this world! I'm so happy to finally have some of your wonderful stock here on the farm. 14 eggs going into the incubator late tonight or early in the morning after the get a chance to "rest" just a bit from the trip.

For those interested, I have pictures with both Orloff and large fowl Cochins for comparison posted here; https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=521794

Great
packing, great service and a really sweet person to deal with!

Back
Top Bottom